PDA

View Full Version : boa wont switch from live to frozen

Pontus
09-16-02, 09:29 PM
i just got a venezuelan rainbow boa and since it was born its been on live mice
i dont want to induge it but it wont take frozen got any ideas on how to make it go onto frozen it will strike at it once in the beginign when i hold it but then after that it wont do anythign else even if i tap the mouse on it or wiggle it in its face. it just moves away from it and does not care about it

need help :eek:

pontus:grab:

sophia
09-16-02, 10:25 PM
You could try warming it up a little bit with a hair dryer, that helped ours to 'want' to take it. You can also once it's thawed, bash it up a little bit to get the odor going. With one of ours, I had to use tongs and drag the mouse down it's body gently and get the mouse smell all over her before she'd hit it and it works well to take them out of their enclosure and put them in a rubbermaid container that you've drilled holes in for ventilation and try to get them to hit it in there. If they still don't hit it, leave them in there with the lid on in a quiet area where you can monitor them, but out of foot traffic, the mouse will start to smell up the container and might get the feeding response going.

If not, let the snake rest for a few days and try it all over again.

Tay

Lisa
09-30-02, 07:57 PM
another trick is to feed it a live one and follow up with a F/T mouse/rat

our boas were fed live before we got them and would drop the F/T rat after striking. what i did was made the rat "struggle" after being struck so it was like they were trying to get away. turned a non feeder into a feeder.

hope this helps