PDA

View Full Version : what substrate for uromastyx?

Bartman
04-08-04, 01:39 PM
What kind of substrate do you guys use in your mali or any uromastyx enclosures?

Myself i use sand, but im getting doubtful of it...i was thinking their was a chance it could impact my mali uro.

cheers!

drewlowe
04-08-04, 01:49 PM
I keep my beardies on wheat bran, if i ever decieded to keep uros i would do the same thing.

Bighead
04-13-04, 12:25 AM
bird seed

Leviathan
04-13-04, 02:23 AM
bird seed too :) Just make sure it doesn't get moist!

Lrptls
04-13-04, 06:20 AM
i'm currantly using newspaper although i hate it for her cage because i want something that looks better, should i use sand or something else?

Gillards
04-13-04, 04:13 PM
We have kept uromastyx for years and always used playsand!
Lorraine

Bighead
04-14-04, 04:38 AM
Birdseed usually isn't that bad when it gets moist as it sprouts rather than mold. Shouldn't really have a reason to get moist anyway, though.

Rhonda
04-14-04, 08:17 AM
Washed play sand seems to work best for my uros! It's easy to spot clean, inexpensive and it may be the closest thing to their natural habitat.

Bartman
04-14-04, 04:30 PM
So looks like im keeping mine on sand :D

wiseman001
04-29-04, 08:34 PM
Hey... there are some pet stores that sell CALCI-SAND its all calcium.. and won't harm it.. the body of the lizard can break it down,, Not like sand it " SOMETIMES" can cause a problem with digestion...

Tim and Julie B
05-16-04, 08:49 PM
Many people would agree that calci-sand is one of the worst things to use. Impaction rates are higher with it because it's the most often recommended substrate in pet stores and imo it's not digestible like the package says.

Anyways, our uros are on a mixture of organic potting soil, coconut fibre and play sand. When you've expanded the coconut add twice the amount of potting soil and half as much sand. Fill the enclosure, set up the furniture and let it dry completely since any amount of residual moisture can cause skin and tail rot very quickly. Uros love digging and this mixture provides them with a great digging medium that they often pack down to make little burrows. Hope this helps!

Julie

Bartman
05-16-04, 08:55 PM
what does coconut fibre look like..i bought something that is coconut but it wasnt called coco fibre..do you have a picture of your substrate? I would much rather use this..