PDA

View Full Version : sealed chip board rack

sSNAKESs.com
09-13-02, 12:58 PM
I had some chip board laying around so i build a rack out of it... I sealed it with 2 coats of minwax water based polycrylic. Do you think it should be okay to use???

Jeff_Favelle
09-13-02, 01:31 PM
Quervo?

Ha ha.......Don't worry, he'll know!

:-)

Cornelsworld
09-13-02, 03:58 PM
Does chip board have formadehyde in it? I know mdf is bad for that reason, but im not sure about chip board. Sorry I couldn't be any more help. You've been busy lately....

Greg

sSNAKESs.com
09-13-02, 04:11 PM
me? busy? NEVER!!!! :) i think it does have that stuff in it, thats why i sealed it with 2 coats of polycrylic, i think it should be enough. Im not a big buying into the whole off gassing ordeals anyways. Untill i have a snake die in my possession from a RI or something like that i dont really think it plays a huge part with snakes.

Quervo
09-13-02, 05:28 PM
You say you had it laying around .. how long? If it has been sitting for a couple of years, it will have vented the majority of its nasties anyway, but the Polycrylic should finish it off..:)

Chip board does have UF glue, so it does offgas, but not as bad as particle type wood like MDF.

Like I have said Jeff, there is certainly no guarantee that the offgassing will harm the snakes (and others), but there is enough proof that it affects US, so I don't want to take a chance with MY kids.

Of course, I could just be full of it .. but hey, I'm having fun so ... now just how do you write down that tongue noise? :D

Linds
09-13-02, 07:30 PM
Agreed Quervo. I am living testament to the nasty offgassing crap. That's why I take this stuff quite seriously. I am affected greatly by stuff like melamine and stuff. I guess until you experience what its effects can be first hand it can be hard to take it seriously though.........

Quervo
09-13-02, 08:14 PM
That's true Linds .. I sympathize with you, fortunately I'm not too affected by this stuff, but I have seen some people that have very pronounced and immediate reactions to offgassing so I take it seriously too (as you may have noticed:D )

Kurzix
09-14-02, 09:15 AM
hmm never thought about how offgassing would affect humans more than reptiles...but it does make sence. begin warm blooded, we need more oxygen for our bodies to make heat, needing more oxygen we are more suspetable to inhalents. not proven...just a theory