PDA

View Full Version : First babies

Cruciform
03-19-04, 11:06 PM
One of my mice gave birth today. 3 live ones and a stillborn. Since this morning one of the living ones has vanished. I'm assuming they ate it.

Anyway, there are two left and the females are completely ignoring them. In fact they keep walking on them.

Is this typical for first time mothers?

marisa
03-19-04, 11:15 PM
Yeah sometimes. Their second litters might go great, although some mice aren't great mothers.

Although it seems they are walking all over them, they do this. I would leave them a few days. They may get eaten in which case try over with the mothers one more time, if this happens again, kill the mothers off and start with new females. I give them two chances your out sorta thing. There are many reasons they will eat babies but the only thing you can really do in any case is make sure its low traffic area, good diet available each day with fresh water.

Marisa

Cruciform
03-19-04, 11:25 PM
Thanks :) Lots of fresh water and food, and I read up on why they eat the young. It was just surprising to see them not lying back suckling the young.

Not the greatest start but that's one more thing started before I start getting more snakes :)

Auskan
03-19-04, 11:49 PM
My theory is that mice who were born in captivity and removed from their mothers when young then sold in a pet store, have never seen mothers with young and don't really know what they are or what to do with them. (Consider the difference with wild mice that are constantly exposed to mothers, sisters, aunts etc nursing their young, so by the time they have their own, they have a clue). I think they are overwhelmed by all these squirming, squeaking things and don't know what else to do, so they kill and eat them to get rid of them.

My start to mice was similar to yours. My first mother had 8, and by the time I woke up, only 3 were left alive. The other 5 were in various dismembered states all over the nest. However by her second litter, when she had 9, she was fine.

I will actually be interested to put my theory to the test this weekend. I have a mouse who is ready to deliver. She is a female that I raised, and allowed to grow up as I needed another breeder. Last week her mother gave birth to a litter so this little mouse got to see mothering in action, and I have a feeling when she has her own in the next day or so, she will be a good mother, having seen an example of good parenting. (Also, she has her mother here to help her).

Matt.B
03-20-04, 01:22 AM
I have heard that the extra female will "help" with the birth and eat the placenta then if shes lactating will suckle the extra babies.
Matt