PDA

View Full Version : Darren ........

C.Marshell
09-10-02, 06:16 PM
Just wondering how those two gravid B.C.I'S are doing?
Haven't heard much from you in the last little while,hope everything went fine with them,...any babies up for grabs yet?

sSNAKESs.com
09-11-02, 03:18 PM
hrm, darren are you out there? :D

Linds
09-12-02, 10:54 PM
???????????

Darren Hamill
09-13-02, 05:11 AM
DOH!

Apparently I missed this post already! :) The two female bci that I thought were gravid were not in the end. :( One I was sure ovulated and the other bred and took to the heat... I thought I had simply missed ovulation since she shed but apparently not! Needless to say I missed out on many projects this past year but that's no big problem.... There's always this season!

Thanks for asking guys.... I wish you all the best......

C.Marshell
09-13-02, 07:01 AM
gee man...thats crappy!..did they show all signs of being gravid?
did they as well go off feed?did the males loose all interest in them?..Boas are wierd man..just when ya think you have them figured out they throw another curve ball at ya!..i know!... im going through it right now!..lol
Anyway good luck to you this comming season!..hope all goes well.

Chris.

Darren Hamill
09-13-02, 10:21 AM
Chris,

The female that looked as though she ovulated went through the routine and even the male lost all interest in her. The other female took to the heat and stayed there for a month or so only to show nothing in the end. This female had a male that still showed interest in her but that's not always an accurate means of determining a gravid female.

Last years litter was produced under the same conditions. The female was courted and bred for about 2.5 months total and then ovulated. A week after ovulation the male still bred her even though she would no longer copulate with him. This same male is the male that was breeding the female on the heat this year. That's why I thought he was just breeding her in spite of her looking gravid. I just have an overly enthusiastic male! :)

Some people like to use their males as a good indicator weather their females are gravid or not. I think I've shown that it's not always 100% accurate and I've had friends show the same results. Unfortunately many people had weird years last season. Hopefully there will be much better results this season. Ether way it all fun! :)

Best of luck!

Jeff_Favelle
09-13-02, 11:04 AM
Not as easy as everyone thinks. Sure there's no eggs to hatch, but I'd rather have fertile eggs from a python than having to wait for a live birth from a boa!! It takes a special dedication to breed boas and I applaud people like you and Chris Marshell and that guy who had the Hogg babies and my buddy Stav. for doing it!! Its good stuff!