PDA

View Full Version : Do fish play??

vanderkm
09-10-02, 12:37 PM
We have gotten our first fish tank set up (75 gallons with three comet goldfish) and these guys seem to be nuts about the bubble wall and the filter outlet. They hang out by the filter outlet, get swept up in the stream of water, shoot across the tank and seem to keep coming back for more. They seem to do the same in the bubble wall. Its not that they don't have lots of room and sheltered areas in the tank to go to. I am wondering if they are needing fresher water (going to the cleanest part) or something else is wrong - or do they just like to play in the water. The water quality tests fine (ammonia, etc) and it is a big filter for fish that are just a couple inches long. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Mary v.

corr
09-10-02, 12:50 PM
Sounds like they're just playing. I wouldn't be concerned, they're prolly getting a buzz from the extra oxygen. :p

backdraft1320
09-10-02, 03:13 PM
bubble stones rock but I have had a few fish die from a massive bubblegasm just to much excitement for one day! lol

SilverTongue
09-10-02, 03:16 PM
LoL

Shane Tesser
09-10-02, 06:30 PM
I think comets like a little current, so yeah, they probably are just playing. But if they seem to be breathing rapidly or spending alot of time at the top, lack of diet, or perhaps lying on the bottom for long peroids of time then they could be sick. Let us know if you see anything out of the ordinary....just want to make sure everything is 100%. Sometimes stuff such as internal parasites dont show up...no matter what tests you do...not trying to scare you...just want everything to work out for you. Thanks for posting. Shane.

vanderkm
09-10-02, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Other than the time spent surfing from one end of the tank to the other, they seem fine. They have learned that when we walk by the tank, they might be fed and go up to the top, even though most of the time they are disappointed. They spend a lot of time exploring the plants and fake rock caves and seem to be vigorous. I hope they don't end up dying of 'bubblegasm' but it might not be such a bad way to go.

This our first venture into fish keeping and so far we really like these little guys - quite different from all the reptiles.

Mary v.

Andrew
02-20-03, 10:18 AM
I think fish play. I have an iridescent shark that is about 14'' that likes to play with the pleco of the same size. Every night they chase each other aroud the tank but just bump into eat other. Then they die down and sometimes do it again. Its really funny to watch....kinda like a big game of tag.