PDA

View Full Version : basemant heating

wolf_010
03-07-04, 01:34 PM
i am going to be keeping my snake in my basement when i get him.
i am worried that a under the tank heat pad may not be enugh at times.
what else should i do?

any input is thanked.

kvduffy@sympatico.ca

m1k3_88
03-07-04, 02:25 PM
you could put a low wattage heat lamp ontop of the tank to raise the temp a bit. If the lamp gets the tank too hot u could put it on a dimmer.

Jeff_Favelle
03-07-04, 06:48 PM
You set up the tank WELL before hand and SEE if its "not enough". Then come back and ask.

You don't set up and calibrate a tank right when you get a new animal. You do it 2 weeks before hand so there's no surprises.

m1k3_88
03-07-04, 06:54 PM
Jeff, in his other post he's stated he's only gettin the corn in sept and i think hes settin everything up now so its perfect for when he gets the corn

wolf_010
03-07-04, 09:06 PM
guys im a SHE not a he

m1k3_88
03-07-04, 10:24 PM
sorry about that, a name would help out.
Mike.

wolf_010
03-08-04, 03:06 PM
Katherine...i like wolves as well as snakes and i thought there would be to many snake nicknames on here so that is why i chose wolf...sorry for any gender mix up...LOL

Big Mike
03-08-04, 03:22 PM
Welcome Katherine,

Setting up your enclosure beforehand is a very good idea, so is asking question and doing research before acquiring the animal...so you seem to be off to a very good start.

You really have to set it up and check the temps to be sure...but I usually find that UTHs under a tank will yield temps that are too hot and will need to be controlled. Inexpensive lamp dimmers work well to control under tank heaters.

You may want to use a lamp to light up the enclosure, as it might be dark in the basement. A light can be used as supplemental heat for your enclosure if required. Lights should be on a timer so that the animal has a regular schedule. Lights will dry out the air so you have to watch the humidity.

Invictus
03-08-04, 03:43 PM
You don't need to "watch the humidity" for corn snakes. They do not require humidity at all. Temperatures are far more important.

Big Mike
03-08-04, 04:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that very many animals "do not require humidity at all" ;)

Bighead
03-08-04, 05:21 PM
Katherine- If the temperature in the basement varies much it might be a good idea to get a thermostat. Zoo Med makes a pretty cheap one. You can hook it up to a ceramic heat emitter or an incandescent black light so it doesn't keep your corn up at night. The thermostat automatically goes on and off to keep it at a fairly constant temperature.
I am an animal trainer and about half of my ethology training was about wolves. Definitely another animal on my "need to have some day" list.

wolf_010
03-08-04, 05:35 PM
lol...i love wolves as well as snakes, but at least snakes are an animal i can legaly keep