PDA

View Full Version : Plant tank idea...

Lizzy
09-09-02, 12:47 PM
I have an idea...what do you think about putting a layer of peat on the bottom of a tank, then covering with the gravel that the plants are planted in. Would that create a massive mess or just massive plants? How would gravel vaccuming affect the peat on the bottom? I plan to use the plates. Any anerobic bacteria problems to expect?

Lizzy

Shane Tesser
09-09-02, 08:08 PM
Thats how i set mine up. I also use a mixture of clay, some soil, silica sand and mulch....but i wouldnt recommend doing this unless you want to wait six months to be able to see into the tank...but it does work really well. But yeah...peat is most effective at the roots, most (not all) aquatic plants get the majority of nutrition throught the roots as far as organic food goes. Plus the root balls become huge due to the fact that there is really no restrictions for the root growth due to the softness of the peat...if that makes sense. And Vaccum, lol, i dont do this with planted tanks. I believe that if it is heavily enough planted there should be no need. Let the plants do the cleaning up! I like the look of the odd couple of leaves etc on the ground, to me it looks more natural, but thats just imo. The only thing i ever do is still up the ground from time to time....maybe every three months with a tooth pick. This is gentle enough to not disturb roots and yet strong enough to flip the gravel over....mostly to loosen the odd debris and get rid of any algae on the substrate. And im sure, you will let me help you set it up... PPPLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Shane Tesser
09-09-02, 08:11 PM
okay, so i ramble, but i forgot to mention....the only draw back to this is that from time to time some pieces of the peat get loose and float, and may or may not get sucked up by the filter....but thats okay, cause if i can help ill show you how to custom plumb a filter system with pvc and through all the factory equipment away. Lol, i just love building stuff!!!

Lizzy
09-10-02, 11:53 AM
I have to find that 4 foot tank first. I don't have any intention of messing with my gorgeous plant tank unless I move and get a bigger one. Ideally I want to get my 125g back from my father and set that up with plants. I probably have enough plants to fill it already with the rate that my plants in the 33 are growing...plus I have about 6 swords in the tank and only one is thriving...not enough room I guess. The one that is thriving is one of those rose something or other swords.