PDA

View Full Version : New Enclosure *PICS*

jjnnbns
02-12-04, 03:00 AM
Hey everyone,

I just finished my new enclosure for my snakes. It will house 3 snakes in each of their diff. enclosures. I currently have 1.1 JCP and 0.1 Anery Corn.

Each enclosure is 3'L x 2'D x 1.5'H. I have an 11"x18" UTH under each and secure fluorescent lighting in each. Only the top two are being used now as the corn is in a terrarium setup for now.

I think it looks pretty good. Any advice or tips?

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/3999Enclosure_pics_copy-med.jpg

sapphire_moon
02-12-04, 06:52 AM
Nice! How did you seal the inside?

jjnnbns
02-12-04, 02:03 PM
The inside is sealed with polyurethane and the corners are filled with silicone. I also put silicone between each of the boards before I screwed them together.

Linds
02-12-04, 02:54 PM
Those are some great looking cages! :D Looks like the lights are exposed though?

ChristinaM
02-12-04, 05:17 PM
Nice, any chance you could show a larger pic of one? personal email is fine :)

jjnnbns
02-12-04, 05:58 PM
Linds, there is a clear plastic guard on each one, nothing warmer than room temp, I got each light at Walmart for only $6.96 and wired it right through the top so no wire is exposed

jjnnbns
02-12-04, 06:08 PM
Here is a crappy pic of the light (cant get it smaller and have no more room in gallery- need to upgrade account!)

jjnnbns
02-12-04, 06:13 PM
Bichir-

Is this good or do you want me to email more to you? That'd be no problem

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/3999cage_close_up.jpg

ChristinaM
02-13-04, 01:06 AM
wow, love it :) Definately a nice tank....it's hard to tell from farthur away how the inside looks, but it all looks good. Snake is pretty cool too. Very nice work you did.

Would always like to see more pics :) Gives me idea's actually. I'll pm my email addy :)

Wizwise2000
02-18-04, 06:39 PM
Beautiful enclosure, very nice. You're snakes will love it!
I would like to build something similar, what's stopping me is the sliding doors, what do you use and how do you do it?

Again, beautiful.
Shane

TheRedDragon
02-18-04, 11:37 PM
Wow! Awesome enclosures jjnnbns! What sort of wood did you use for them?

Invictus
02-20-04, 09:21 PM
Very nice work. I could sit and stare at handywork like that for hours. The herps inside are likewise a bonus!! :D

JimmyDavid
02-20-04, 09:31 PM
Very nice cages. Keep it up!

jjnnbns
02-23-04, 04:09 AM
Wizwise-
The sliding door track is from Home Depot ( 6' for under $8) and the glass is from an old window in my fraternity. A local glass shop cut it for $10. They told me that each piece (12"x16") would only cost $3.75 anyways so not a bad deal

RedDragon-
I used plywood with many coats of urethane (too many hours!!!- but ended up being worth it!) and then trimme the outside (dark wood parts) with cedar because I thought that the dust from cedar is poisonous, but it is the fumes. So then I put pine inside with even more urethane so that no cedar is exposed on the inside.

Each enclosure is 36"x24"x15"

I plan on building another one of these but will have learned from my mistakes and this one will only hold two enclosures, the bottom third of it will be for storage as well as a misting system as my plans call for a pair of Brazilian Rainbow Boas next! I just need to find the cash to fund it!

TheRedDragon
02-23-04, 05:42 PM
Wow, that sounded like a TON of work. Well, mistakes are to be made before perfection is the result. :) I'm sure that if I started building enclosures I'd be bound to hit a few bumps along the way. I really like the way the enclosures look, and I'm sure your snakes are quite happy in there. :)

jjnnbns
05-07-04, 01:03 AM
Thought that I'd update some info on these cages...

The floor is now vinyl tile, very easy to cleanup and looks better than newspaper IMHO

The sliding doors couldn't hold these escape artists in! I built doors out of 1x2 oak and screwed plexiglass to the inside. Seems to work pretty well.

The new cages are making me much happier, and I hope the same for my snakes (although they may be upset that their escape route is gone!)

EDIT: Oops, forgot the pictures! Here they are:

http://bitz.net/~ato/Pictures/Brent/3%20pk.jpg

http://bitz.net/~ato/Pictures/Brent/door%20closeup.jpg

FoShizzleDizzle
05-07-04, 01:54 AM
I think the transformation was a success! Looks good...

manville
05-07-04, 02:10 AM
nice enclosures