PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for the rich

Lizzy
09-04-02, 08:51 AM
It seems that my desire to see fish go into appropriate homes has gotten me into trouble again. Yesterday I had the misfortune of talking to a woman who let a 2 year old choose any fish that she wanted. The kid chose a blue damsel (salt water fish for those who don't know). I asked how big the tank was...10 gallons. I asked if there was a filter and heater...no. There wasn't even a lid on the tank. I explained that salt water fish are quite difficult to care for and most of the fish at the store required a heater and a filter and that the only fish that I would sugest for her situation would be a Betta. She said that she would have no problem with putting a filter on it, so I sugested that she have a look at the goldfish. She didn't seem to clue in to the fact that the salt water fish are not to go into something like that because after that she still wanted it! When she asked if the blue fish should go in, I said absolutely not. The the kid started to slap the front of the tank. I asked the woman not to let the kid do that because it really hurts the fish...she just stood there like she wanted to tell me off and let the kid continue. She said to her kid that it seems that her FAVOURITE fish isn't an option...the kid didn't seem to understand or care. So I re-sugested the goldfish since she only wanted one fish. She wandered over to themto look. The next thing I knew, my supervisor is telling me that there has been a complaint about me, the store manager is pissed and has insisted that I punch out imediately and go home. I still don't even know what the complaint was about, but AI have a feeling the woman with the damsel didn't like hearing she couldn't get what she wanted and blew it out of proportion.
I'll keep you all posted to see exactly what happenes.
Lizzy

SilverTongue
09-04-02, 08:57 AM
yeah unfortunatly people are stupid. Usually if it walks on two legs and has aposible thumbs then it is VERY STUPID! I hate people more then I hate Spiders! I am sorry you had to clock out. I hope this means you are not fired. If you are then you have a stupid manager for only listening to one side of the story. "The customer is always right" cra* is just that cra*! I hope you find a better place to work soon with a manager who actually cares for the animals he/she is selling.

Lizzy
09-04-02, 09:14 AM
I don't want to go to work tomorow morning. I have a feeling I'll have a VERY bad day. It doesn't help matters when the person who recieved the complaint isn't working today and my supervisor still doesn't know if I am being cut out of the scedual or not. He's as clueless as I am about it all. I should just go get a stupid sub shop job or something.

Lizzy

SilverTongue
09-04-02, 09:16 AM
Well keep us informed!

sophia
09-04-02, 09:36 AM
The problem inherent with working in a store where the 'product' is a living, breathing creature rather than a pair of slacks or a jacket... is that many consumers can't differentiate between the two due to a highly overrated opinion of the human race over other creatures. They see them as just that... disposable and something with which to color-coordinate - not as something that requires a proper environment, care, etc. etc. etc. 'Oh it's just a fish' is I'm sure the message playing over and over in her wee little head. And it seems like in your case here - that the management is REALLY to blame here - for #1 not standing behind you when you did the right thing and really scapegoating you just to make a lousy sale - and #2 for being so obviously money hungry that it displays their true intentions of being in the pet trade - to make as much money as quick as possible and to heck with the animals...

To tell ya the truth, I wouldn't care if they fired me. Someone of that caliber doesn't deserve to have you. There are VERY few people that I have run into at pet stores that actually know what they are talking about and actually care a great deal for the animals they keep and where they go when a purchase is made. In my opinion, I'd say 1-2 tops at each store if you're lucky. Most are just people working a 'job'. That's why salt water fish would go home in a fish bowl and a Burmese would go home in a 10 gal to a five year old... irresponsible and stupid people.

I wish you the best of luck Lizzy. You did the right thing... and maybe you'll find a store that recognizes honor.

Jon

Quervo
09-04-02, 11:28 AM
Well said Sophia.

I found when I worked in retail that I quickly realized I was the ONLY intelligent person on earth.

I have , of course, since revised that short list to include herp lovers.:D

Keep us posted .. if you do get fired (which would not be a good thing for the animals .. but possibly good for your mental health) I'm sure you would have lots of people here that would be glad to write a POLITE note to your ex-boss expressing their displeasure with his management of animals and staff.o>

Shane Tesser
09-04-02, 04:00 PM
Lizzy that totally sucks!!! Thats unbelievable, and i know exactly how you feel. You did the right thing imo. Its kinda one of those damned if you do, damned if you dont situations. If you had sold the thing to her, she probably would have come back to complain that it died in one day, wanted her money back, and then tried to blame you by saying that you told her it would be okay. About being sent home...if its any consilation to you...i believe that under Ontario law, they have to pay you regardless! Or this could be a rule my company has as i know all to well.....you know, you cant punch someone out either lol, you get three days off for that, lmao. Sorry about the situation Lizzy, please keep us informed! Shane.

reverendsterlin
09-04-02, 05:27 PM
Sorry to here about your situation. Thats the sad thing about capitalistic monetary systems, the currencey has no morals and getting the biggest pile of it is the goal.

Lizzy
09-05-02, 09:40 PM
I got to work thismoring and my boss said nothing to me at all. Infact, he kindof stayed out of my way. It turns out that the lady freaked at him because I was supposedly rude to her and then walked away from her. I guess she needed me to follow her when she ASKED her 2 year old if they could go look at the goldfish and wandered over there. I never follow if people who don't know what they want are "looking", but I guess she expected me to follow her around like a good servant. ONe of those "more bucks than brains" situations...or spoiled rich person.

Maybe my supervisor explained my side of the story to him and maybe he realised that the the *female dog* blew it out of proportion because she had to say no to her 2 year old boss. lol I dunno...I have a lot to say to him if he ever decided to talk to me about it...not sure if I should let it slide or confront him...I'm letting it slide for now. I was expecting to be written up, but nothing has been mentioned. I kinda wanted to tell him off for that, but I guess this is better...in a way.

School starts again on Monday and it's my last year. I only have to put up with morons part time and in April...if all goes well, never again!!!!

Lizzy

SilverTongue
09-06-02, 02:47 AM
glad you are not fired. but dont let ANYONE walk on you unless it is really a matter of life or death.