PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass??

Zoe
09-03-02, 12:31 PM
Okay, this might sound rreeallyy cheap of me, but I checked out prices yesterday and plexi glass is REALLY expensive... I could practically buy a whole setup for the price of a sheet of plexi glass!
Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find less expensive plexi glass (I looked in Home Depot), or an equivalent to plexi glass?

Thanks
Zoe

hydrosaurus
09-03-02, 01:06 PM
I was actually told by a friend theres a place called "plastico" in the markham area. he told me its quite cheap and they cut to size
dont know for sure, but check it out.

Zoe
09-03-02, 01:09 PM
Hey
Do you have any idea of their address or phone number or website?

Thanks!
Zoe

hydrosaurus
09-03-02, 01:16 PM
You know what, i dont.
sorry
try calling information..... but theres alot of plexi factories that cut plexi cheap.

try information.. Even check out the phone book, look for window replacements.

What dimensions are you looking for?

even apple autoglass sells glass cheap as hell.they cut it and its usually rounded..

reverendsterlin
09-03-02, 02:44 PM
plexi can be expensive and it yellows with age (faster with uv exposure) but it is less breakable. Glass is cheaper (normal thichness) and more breakable. When you make the jump to thicher glass the cost becomes more in line with plexi and the weight far surpasses it. Plexi can be cut or drilled through easily, glass takes more expertice. Shopping around on prices is good using either but I don't know your area. Bought mine at Home Depot lol.

Linds
09-03-02, 05:36 PM
Look in the yellow pages for plastic manufacturers. They will have better prices and better selection. They will also do all the cuts for you ;) There are quite a few closer to Toronto, the place I go to is in Vineland. They are called Plastruct Inc. I believe.

Nikki Gervais
09-03-02, 05:47 PM
I prefer glass because It does not get scratched as easy and thus looks better and more professional. I build all my terrariums using glass but in the past I have experimented with plexi.

One thing to be careful is that plexi is known to crack when drilled and has done so on me when I used it in the past. Which is quite annoying when you're bulding a massive iguana cage and u buy plexiglass to make an all glass front and then it cracks in one end, making the 6 x 4 foot sheet useless.

Another thing I don't like about plexi is that if left near heat it will warp and melt, another advantage to using glass, which is tolerant to a certain degree, and then it just shatters LOL.

Kurzix
09-03-02, 07:58 PM
with plexi you can also use a soldering iron and melt a hole in, and you have no chance of cracking it. Looks like my 1/8 inch thick plexi didn;t work as well as i;d like time to move up to 1/4" thick...sigh...psst for all you canadians...thats like 6mm :)

sophia
09-03-02, 09:06 PM
Kurix where were you last night when I wondered if I could use my soldering iron on plexi???? just where were you??? LOL

Thanks for the heads up on that one, I'm going to be using it on all future plexi and rubbermaid projects, makes life so much easier!

Tay

Syst3m
09-03-02, 10:24 PM
Yea Using a soldering iron on plexi is a good way since it only makes the area around the hold stronger with the extra material.

Honestly Lexan is the way to go if your going to use plastics. Less prone to scratches tougher than nails but expensive.....

If your melting plexi with an iron don't breathe the fumes
Keep a wet paper town bunched up so you can clean globs of plexi off of your iron while hot . Also remember not to try and rush it either. By pushing your iron through the plexi you cool it down so it may want to stop or get harder to push through don't force it at that point the plexi is weak and you still risk a chance of cracking how ever slim it may be.

sophia
09-04-02, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the tips Syst3m, I am really going to have to try this and soon, drilling and cutting plexi is a true pain in the rear!

Tay

Syst3m
09-04-02, 09:00 AM
Cutting plexi is not so bad you just need an acrylic knive and a good straight edge. And the last time I cut it all I had was a hack saw... BIG mistake.

sophia
09-04-02, 02:14 PM
Oy do I hear cracking and splintering over there <G>. Yeah I need a good plexiglass tool, can't find anything but the dang plastic ones here right now, I'm going to have to shop around I guess and I generally use a framing square so I can hold it down on the board with my knees (G) There has GOT TO BE AN EASIER WAY! and there is.... have them cut it for you and hope they get it right!!!! (G)

Tay

reverendsterlin
09-04-02, 06:06 PM
powersaw with a disk is good, for small cuts a dremel style tool with a sanding disk works well. Pre-drilling and then using a grinding tool works well to prevent cracking (low rpms)

sophia
09-04-02, 06:45 PM
Someone stole my dremel!!! Gotta get me another one, there's nothing better for small detail work and sanding!

Tay

Syst3m
09-05-02, 01:23 AM
Goto home Depot and ask for an Acrylic knife. You Buy a Clamp if you need one to hold your square in place and score the hell out of the acrylic with the knife, It needs to be about half way through the acrylic, then you snap it off on a level flat surface using the corner of the surface/counter as your leverage point.
If you can practice on some scrap peices thats best. the only reason I dont suggest dremel for the job is the amount of plastic thats going to be tossed into the air and the time its going to take
not to mention unless your steady as a rock and can move your arms like a machine your going to have a hell of a time cutting out anything large. I usually try to get my glazier to make my pelxi to size. Thats the easiest way.

Good luck

Kurzix
09-09-02, 04:24 PM
I have no problems getting good square cuts on plexi, granted it can be a pain...and you don;t eve3n need to score it 1/2 way...heck the direcetions only say about a 1/3...but the more you score the easier the break I imagine if you went to 1/4" or more thick you might need a mallot to break it

naja
09-12-02, 12:17 PM
sophia... try a jigsaw on the plexi. a skillsaw will usually get all gunked up with melted plastic (plexi), and though the jigsaw will also melt the plastic, it is easier to stop and clean out your cutting point. just make sure that the sheet of plexi is being held firmly on both sides of the cut and you have a sharp blade in your jigsaw, or, use a table jigsaw or a bandsaw. ciao!

Seanebones
09-17-02, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't use it.

lance
09-17-02, 04:56 PM
well howed you make out did you go plexi or glass and how did you cut it
tell us we want to know so we dont make any extra mistakes