PDA

View Full Version : Favorite part of keeping herps?

Tim_Cranwill
02-04-04, 04:06 PM
What part about keeping herps do you most enjoy?

wyz
02-04-04, 04:17 PM
Tim, you should of given us the possibility to check more than one ;)

I say photography, because it includes some king of handling and showing off also, and in some case, feeding when you take shots of your snake with a rat in is jaw :) Got to be honnest, who doesn't like to show off their herps :)

2nd is buying, that's sooo exciting.

The only one I wouldn't check is cleaning :) and I'd add to the choices, preparing a tank for a new herp.

cool thread Tim

WYZ

sapphire_moon
02-04-04, 04:21 PM
I love everything about keeping them. Even cleaning, because they don'g dirty their cages every like 4 hours! lol

Tim_Cranwill
02-04-04, 04:32 PM
I enjoy the cleaning cages part too. :) It gives me a chance to check up on everybody, handle them and see how they are doing. There isn't a part of keeping herps I don't enjoy... except for paying for them... and their food!. :D

wyz, Yeah, I should have made more than one choice possible. :)

drewlowe
02-04-04, 04:54 PM
I can't choose which one. The thing i probly enjoy the most is setting up a new cage (as naturalistic as i can) and watching them explore their new home.

I just did that this past weekend for one of my juvi corn snakes and i haven't seen him since (he's been burrowed the whole time).

I could sit there for hours feeding them and i have TONS of photos (i love our digi cam.).

The only thing i don't enjoy doing is picking out the dead beetles in my meal worm colony. It makes me cringe and i have no clue why, but neo gets a sperm plug stuck and i have no problem taking that out.

rwg
02-04-04, 05:39 PM
I cant choose between feeding and handling, so I'm not responding. There's nothing I dont like about it.

rg

NewLineReptile
02-04-04, 05:55 PM
I like all the choices

Brandon

JD@reptiles
02-04-04, 07:12 PM
photography and breeding can be fun too.

lakeridgekennel
02-04-04, 11:01 PM
I am a buying nut I love to buy herps. I also love to clean cages it's so rewarding and you get to see all your herps.
Tim good poll!!!

reptilez
02-05-04, 08:08 AM
It used to be the feeding part.....But now since im breeding them, i love watching the little babies pop out of their shell and taking their first breath of air:D:D
Happy Herpng,
-Reptilez

SylverAngel
02-05-04, 01:57 PM
caring for ur herps and making sure their healthy and well, its like ur taking care of ur own baby, cause its kinda like they are ur babies, lol.......i love giving my herps lots of TLC....good poll btw!!

Lrptls
02-05-04, 02:05 PM
i love watching them eat, i do sometimes enjoy cleaning, it always cures bordum, i dont breed, i do love taking pictures of them and i LOVE buying but my favorite is handling, nothing is more fun then holding my animals, especialy the snakes

Cruciform
02-05-04, 02:11 PM
I think my favorite part is watching the snakes and my cats interact. At first I thought if they could see each other it would cause the snakes a lot of undue stress. The cats will sit with their noses against the glass, meowing and poking the glass with their paws. The snakes will push themselves up against the glass until they're right between the cats eyes and wiggle back and forth.
It drives the cats nuts. I'd swear that the snakes know the cats can't touch them :) They'll even come out of their hides to do it. :)

AshleyL
02-05-04, 03:01 PM
i love watching my BP when she thinks im not watching. Seeing her moving around in her enclosure and checking things out is really interesting and gratifying. (plus she's really cute )

TheRedDragon
02-09-04, 09:42 PM
Definitely handling. I get especially excited when I can handle 2 out of our three baby Macklotts without getting bitten! :)

BoidKeeper
02-09-04, 09:55 PM
I also enjoy taking them to school to show/educate the students about herps.
I started a reptile club at school recently. Every week we pic a different reptile and learn about it.
Cheers,
Trevor

lizardmom
02-13-04, 07:11 PM
I love the fact that I overcame a fear that I had had all my life-over 40 years-a fear of snakes.I know it was becauuse my mother was deathly afraid of them, so I promised myself that I would not pass that fear on to my kids-3 of them
Now my hubby and I have over 25 different kinds of snakes and over 25 lizards.
I love my lizards and snakes like part of my extended family;
My 2 cents
lizardmom

shmotz666
02-17-04, 07:26 AM
i love handling my reptiles. its just amazing, such a beautiful creature. one on one interaction is just the greatest. :p