PDA

View Full Version : What the price tag on an adult colombian

Dom
01-30-04, 08:04 PM
Hey

Not a boa guy so I have never really check there worth .. but I am curious..

I have a pair of adults colombian boas..

Male is 7 feet long and female is 6 and a half feet long .. about 7 years old each

What would you say there values are individually and as a pair .. Just curious.. not sure wether to sell or keep - got them through a trade..

Thanks

Dom

Linds
01-30-04, 08:17 PM
Pricing is dependant upon several factors, such as history and appearance. Are they proven breeders? Are they average looking or above?

gonesnakee
01-30-04, 08:34 PM
First advice, don't split the pair. Adult males unless they are screamers are usually a dime a dozen ($50-$150). Everyone wants adult females though, mostly to make hets with etc. If they are proven of course they will be worth more, but looks will be the key factor no matter what. If they are a nice looking pair & proven you should hopefully be able to get $350-$500 depending on who's doing the buying. Maybe more if they are really nice both in looks & temperment. Hope this helps some & I am speaking from a Calgary, Alberta market, it may differ out East. I'm not a Boa guy really either so I don't follow it out there. Good Luck Mark

Dom
01-30-04, 08:36 PM
Good to ok lookers.. Ill get pics soon enough .. Never been bred b4 ..

Just looking for an approx. price

Invictus
01-31-04, 02:34 PM
Mark is right on his assessment. But, in the case of a female boa that is only 6.5 feet long, well... I wouldn't pay much more than $75 for that, because I consider that to be a dwarf. A 7 foot male though, if he was a total screamer, I'd personally pay upwards of $150-$250 depending on looks, temperament, etc.

snakey
02-01-04, 02:34 AM
If they are no bigger than that at this age, my guess is that they arent columbian. Mine is only about 2 yrs. and about 5ft.

ohh_kristina
02-01-04, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by snakey
If they are no bigger than that at this age, my guess is that they arent columbian. Mine is only about 2 yrs. and about 5ft.

I disagree. A 7ft male colombian is a really good sized male. 6.5 feet is small for a female colombian, but it really depends on the parents, etc. There is always the possiblity of it being a cross between something, but that isn't necissarily the case just because of the length. Just because a species has a certain average doesn't mean that they ALL fit into that bracket.

To the original poster, I have no advice on prices as I'm from the US. Good luck with them, though!

Matt_K
02-01-04, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by snakey

Just out of curiousity, what would you say they are then?? I have a 6.5' female here is that is 4 years old and she is DEFINATLY a Colombian.. Also, how big do you think they should be at 7 years old???

Invictus
02-01-04, 02:10 PM
It totally depends on the parents. I've seen female colombians down in the 5.5' mark as adults. They are very highly variable in size, but the question is, what someone is willing to pay for them. I personally think size DOES matter. :) Even when looking at baby boas, I always ask how big the parents are. If the parents were dwarfed, chances are the offspring will be too.

snakey
02-02-04, 10:23 PM
Anymore, it is vertualy impossible to tell geographic origin just by looking or measureing. So much stuff has been imported and traded and bred across lines of geographic origin. Unless I went to Columbia, treked into the jungle, and captured it myself, I'd be reluctant to call it "Columbian". These are typicaly the big guns of boas freaquently reaching lenths in exess of 10 ft. in the wild. I had a female wich after about 12yrs. in captivity was about 11.5 ft. and about 50lbs. Typicaly as you head north from columbia they get smaller. HOWEVER... What you realy want to know is value, and that is subject to an even grater diversity. Much depends on health, scars and other physical defects and on the overall beauty of the animal. It also depends on who buys it, and the current market. My advice would be to take the animal in question to a herp show and ask arround as it is difficult to place a value on an animal without seeing it. Also of importance is weather or not they are a mated pair, and where they came from. Personaly I'dprobably start the bidding at 100 each.U.S.$

Linds
02-03-04, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Invictus
If the parents were dwarfed, chances are the offspring will be too.

Just because the animals are at the smaller end of the spectrum, is not to say that they are "dwarfed". Also, being a few inches off the average doesn't classify the animal as being "dwarfed". If the animal is dwarfed, it is genetically defective, and may also have other problems associated with the condition, much like with humans. There is no reason that a smaller size should influence the price if the animal is otherwise in good condition. I personally prefer my large species to finish up at the smaller end :)

Jeff_Favelle
02-03-04, 01:06 AM
If the parents were dwarfed, chances are the offspring will be too.

Depends on how they were "dwarved". If they were runted because of lack of food, that is NOT genetic and cannot be passed on to the offspring, LOL!

But if its a small locale of boas, then yes they can pass that on.

Dom, as was stated before, adult male Colombians can be hard to sell, but females should be easy to sell for breeding value.