PDA

View Full Version : Necessities!!!

lordkovacs
09-01-02, 10:09 PM
Ok, here's my situation. I live in Hamilton on weekends and Toronto during the week as of Tuesday. My corn will stay in Hamilton, where my bro. will take care of him during the week. This will last for 8 months, following which I will be in Hamilton permanently. I will be living in a residence room of a college (which is private and very very quiet because it's all post-grads..ie. no parties). I will not have access to a very strong heater or anything because they track electricity usage. Is there any way I can purchase a hatchling from the Toronto show and keep him/her in my residence room using a minimum amount of heat? My room has its own thermostat so i wouldn't let it drop below 70 or anything... any ideas...anyone??? THanks..
Mike

Syst3m
09-02-02, 02:38 AM
Flexwatt would probably be pretty good.
and the good undertank heaters like Trex brands
They have models between 5 -30 w heaters that work very efficiently if you put a peice of styrofoam under neath them.
They are under tank heaters of course. Another way is to get a low height tank and use lamps to heat the cage. remember you dont need to heat the whole cage just part of it so they can bask
my corns take is 85 on the hot side and 75 on the cold side using a small under tank heater. heat can also be regulated better by using a solid top with only ventilation holes in it it will help to regulate the tank heat and humidity. so depending on what kind of snake that could be good or bad.

I'm not sure of the power consumption of flexwatt but its not high at all. using the foam trick I can acheive temps of 95f inside of my brazilians cage.

Neil
09-08-02, 12:44 PM
Yeah, some type of heat pad would be great because these only use small amounts of energy. I personally would only ever use pads or strips etc because bulbs are not suitable for corns at all. A mat large enough to heat a three foot viv would be about twenty watts. This costs 95 pence a week (including VAT) to run. Sorry I can't convert that into Canadian value but it's not a lot. It's three times less than a bulb and the cheapest way to heat tanks.

AJS
09-12-02, 08:37 PM
Why do you say bulbs arn't suitable for corns

Jeff_Favelle
09-12-02, 09:11 PM
Bulbs aren't suitable for corns as they are nocturnal and would avoid that warm-giving light.

Next, just get a sunbeam heat pad, put it on low and, OUTSIDE of the cage, put it under 1/3 of the cage. This is a hatchling right? Easy. Just have it so one spot it 85 and the other is 75.

And the snake will probably love it that you're not around all the time. Snakes are not dogs. They DON"T enjoy being bugged. The less you are around your snake, the better.

Good luck. I know you'll do great!

Jeff_Favelle
09-12-02, 09:13 PM
And a 3 foot cage is about 1000 times too big for a baby corn!!!!

Just use the 5.83L Rubbermaid with maybe 3-4 inches if it on the heat pad (Sunbeam $19 at Walmart). Piece of cake. Hardly ANY electricity will be used. Maybe $1.50 per month!!