PDA

View Full Version : how long did it take for ur corn to reach full length and width?

Nicky
01-23-04, 12:34 PM
hey everyone,
I was just curios how long it took for ur corn to grow to its final length and width. Nikki my corn is 2 years old and shes about 4 maybe 5 feet long but still not very thick do u think she will still be geting any thicker or is she done growing. also I feed her one adult mouse a week is that ok for a 4 foot long corn who is about an 1nch and a bit thick?
thx
kayla

Jayson
01-23-04, 08:43 PM
The growth rate for snakes is affected by many factors, so it is hard to determine the length of time it will take to reach full adult size. Also the adult size of a corn varies from one snake to another. at only two years of age it is not likly done growing I would step up the prey size to a small rat.

Nicky
01-23-04, 11:19 PM
ok kool thx is that much bigger than an adult mouse?

reverendsterlin
01-23-04, 11:40 PM
mine run from 1.5 years to adult size(not their full growth) to 4 years, again not full growth (they grow throughout their lives), but basically by 5 years they are mostly 500+ grams up to 800+ grams. Doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference in feeding but "most" of the best feeders get there faster while a few less of the more finicky do. Still some finicky get fast growth, some great eaters get slower *sigh* beats me (may be timing in some way), and I keep great records. still the neos seem to do best with rapid prey increase IMNSHO(4-5 months to adult mice prey).

Nicky
01-24-04, 12:34 AM
wow that is fast. Hopefully she'll gain a bit more width.
thx everyone
kayla

sapphire_moon
01-24-04, 08:38 AM
4-5 months adult mice prey! wow! Our 5 month old is on rat pinks (seems to be a little bit bigger than mice fuzzy), She is fed every 7 days. And looking at the rats that are the size of adult mice.....I don't think she could handle something that big! lol

HeatherK
01-26-04, 02:12 PM
Somewhere I read that corns will tend to grow in length more than they would in width on smaller prey or less feedings, so stepping up the size of the food item might be a good idea to see a little more growth.

Nicky
01-26-04, 03:05 PM
its always just so nerver racking when u step up because i always worry its to big but they know if its too big an won;t eat it. Has there ever been corns cases of snakes( corns in pitcular) of chocking on thier food?

TheRedDragon
01-26-04, 07:25 PM
Honestly, the only way that a snake in general could choke on its food is because the prey item is too small from what I've heard. Generally, if the item is too big, the snake will reject it. Snakes push their prey down with their muscles since they do not have the ability to swallow like we do. And, if the prey item is way too small, they'd have no way to push the food down, and, it would remain in their mouth/throat, THAT could possibly cause choking. I've never heard of a snake choking on something too big though, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that it can't happen, I've just never heard of it.

Nicky
01-27-04, 09:11 PM
wow choaking on something to small i wouldn;t of never thought of that.

Smilts
01-29-04, 06:37 PM
theretongue sheath is designed to prevent chockingin most cases