PDA

View Full Version : Terrible rat bite!

Zoe
01-22-04, 05:52 AM
Just thought I'd share with you all what happened yesterday :P
Anyway, I get bitten by rats on occasion but until yesterday, the worst was just a deep, bloody hole in my finger. But this time, the rat bit repeatedly, making a huge gash on my knuckle (as well as holes on the side of my finger and under it). It started to swell really quickly, I ended up going to the doc's. By the time I got there, it was a good 2.5-3x the normal size of my finger, and I lost a lot of blood.
No stitches in case of infection, but there's a huge bandage on it and I'm supposed to expect the pain and swelling to last until the a/bs kick in, which'll be another couple days. It's still bleeding (the bandage is soaked!)... sucks eh :)

No permanent dammage, but it still hurts!

Lesson? Wear gloves!

Zoe

sapphire_moon
01-22-04, 06:41 AM
lol, ya my "pet" female did that to me, left a half inch gash on my knuckle. Needless to say she will be fed off when she is done breeding..........!!!!!!! Worst place to be bit, because you bend your finger.

They should not have let you leave the hospital if it was still bleeding that bad!

snakehunter
01-22-04, 07:02 AM
that happened to me to, so I whaked her and fed her to my snake

ReptiZone
01-22-04, 07:39 AM
And think that pain hapends to herps on all the time all over the world be cause of newbies even ppl that have years of experience refuse to feed there herps dead prey. At least you (Zoe) you can ask ppl "Hey have you ever ben Bitten Buy a rat yet if not Stic your finger in and let them take a chop then come back and tell me you will chance letting that hapen to your herp."

sorry...I just had to Re-open this debat again it has ben sorta fun to watch ppl bicker lattly might as well give them fresh meat to fry.
Now just sit back and watch them swarm in. lol

asphyxia
01-22-04, 07:45 AM
Yo, hey, gimme da name of da mouse dat did this to you and I'll wack em for ya.

Get well soon
Bubba

Zoe
01-22-04, 09:52 AM
Hey,
Sapphire, if they wanted to keep me till i quit bleeding id still be there! :)

Repti - yeah... someone told me they bet that id feed it live now and i was like 'no way it'll bite the snake!'

Brian - lol, you ought to, because now im scared of them! She,s still in the feed bin where i dropped her yesterday.

Zoe

Linds
01-22-04, 11:15 AM
LOL you'll be bleeding for a while! I had one rat bite, my mom and boyfriend tried to convince me to go get stitches, but I'm sick of doctors so I refused to go :p I bled for over two days :eek:

Originally posted by sapphire_moon
lol, ya my "pet" female did that to me,

LOL it 's always the pet! 200+ rats in my colony, all are wildly terrified of me, and none have bitten me. A friend gave me his "pet" rat... who he spoiled and cared for since day one. Get him to my house and he turned in to a monster, bit me and it went straight down to the bone the first time, second just made me bleed a lot. Then I managed to find some old gardening gloves, he would charge at me and I couldn't even get other rats out, so yeah... I offed him :rolleyes:

sapphire_moon
01-22-04, 01:21 PM
exactly, she is in a "proper" sized cage, well that changes this week, we are getting deep rubermaid (she can jump straight up out of a 1.5ft high bucket!!) and putting her and the male in there. Might even just get a bigger one, and off the other male. Jeeze, if the other ones don't produce soon then I'm going to have to start over for them.

My little female bp refused a live rat pup! I couldn't believe it, just slithered right over it! The sad thing is I held it by the tail with the tongs and it cried......:( this is gonna get some gettin used to.......

Soooooo I gave it back to the mother! I had to use the feeding tongs to put it back in there or she would have bit me again. So I put it back in there, she grabs it and just starts stuffing it under her belly! lol.

I found dry ice to, $1 (US) per pound. Is that cheap? I'm getting ready to go search for the gas chambers to see if I can make one....

Lisa
01-24-04, 02:27 AM
If I have a bitey rat i take my leather work gloves, corner them and rub their bellys. it's a total dominance thing.

gas chamber is easy, use a rubbermaid or garbage can to hold the rats, take a delicup, punch some holes in the lid, add dry ice to hot water, cover and put in garbage can with rats, cover garbage can. come back 20 min later and freeze rats.

sapphire_moon
01-24-04, 09:05 AM
sounds like a plan, especially if my other rats start producing...one of the females are looking plump. And the 2 females have kicked the male out of the "sleeping cornor" and they are sleeping togher now....maybe they "turned" on me. lol

Pixie
01-24-04, 07:49 PM
Eeek! That's quite a bite!

I've been lucky so far and haven't been really bitten by my rats yet (knocking on wood!) or any of my pets yet actually. A couple of nibbles or nips that left a scratch at most was the worst.

Repti: Great point!

sapphire: 2 of my BP's took forever to switch to rats, it can get frustrating I know! But it can be done. Only thing that worked with both of mine was perseverance and hunger. They would refuse tasty rat fuzzies and hoppers for a few weeks until they were finally hungry enough and caved! My female Janice took the longest but that's because I would cave and give her mice again. She would go 2 months easy refusing rats so I would cave... Stick to rats and they WILL eventually take them. Now all my snakes, BPs included, take rats (f/t) like champs! :)

Pixie