PDA

View Full Version : What kind of water do you use for your herps?

Linds
08-28-02, 06:40 PM
I use Brita filtered water for all my herps. I don't drink tap water therefore I don't expect my animals to. Tap water contains too many yuckies (chlorine, chloroform, etc), some of which have been linked to cancer and miscarriages in people, so one can only wonder what effects it has on the animals we keep and breed.........

Kurzix
08-28-02, 07:08 PM
Distilled water is what I drink, and everything in my house drinks :)

josefg
08-29-02, 12:40 AM
Actually my vote was for what i plan to use :)

Syst3m
08-29-02, 03:15 AM
Well I posted the wrong awnser. Tap Water. I actually use filtered (Britta) water that has aged at least 24+ hours so that alot of the chemicals have disipated.

sophia
08-29-02, 04:52 AM
We do about the same thing; we 'offgas' the tap water by leaving it in a gallon milk jug open for 24 hours - then use that to fill water bowls - recently installed a filter system on the kitchen faucet and now simply use the filtered water.... sometimes will 'stress coat' a large amount of water i.e. the big rubbermaid dishpan we put in for a 'swimming pool'... {G}

Jon

Cidah
08-29-02, 06:58 AM
I use tap water and add Zoomed's "RepiSafe instant water conditioner.

lance
08-30-02, 05:40 PM
just use aged tap wayer
works just fine for my three armed kid it should be okay for the lizards

hip
09-01-02, 07:42 AM
I drink spring water (when I'm not drinking beer lol) and that is what the kids get too (spring water not beer lol) hip

Jaylyn
09-01-02, 08:41 PM
We use well water - it's tested anually - it's always been fine. It is hard, though - cages just need the extra scrubbing to get the calcium off.

Jaylyn

Richard Welter
09-02-02, 10:42 AM
I use distilled water, I have three 10 gallon pales that sit in my room with lids and the water distill naturally. Thanks Richard Welter

naja
09-27-02, 11:06 AM
well your welcome, richard!

derek
10-08-02, 10:20 PM
i use filtered water with reptisafe water conditioner.

Lisa
10-14-02, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Richard Welter
I use distilled water, I have three 10 gallon pales that sit in my room with lids and the water distill naturally. Thanks Richard Welter

Unless you are using a still you are not distilling water, you're actually concentrating the minerals. To distill water you must boil it and collect the water vapour in a condensor coil where it drips into a clean container.

Jeff_Favelle
10-15-02, 09:08 AM
Well, there's a huge big ocean filled with water right outside my door.........

JK

:D

jay76
10-18-02, 04:52 AM
Me, I use tap water that's been treated with chlorine remover *and* aged... my fish haven't grown lungs yet, and they live in it, so it can't be all that bad ;)

Kyle Barker
11-02-02, 03:18 AM
Just a passing on some info i was told. If you just leave the water to sit in an open container it doesnt get rid of soem stuff. For chlorine, it has to be out side or somewhere that the uv rays can get at it. UV is what breaks down and destroys a lot of the nasties in our water. Anyways thats what i use, water thats been exposed to 48+ hours of direct sunlight (usually about a week, but im paranoid and probably dont need to do it for that long).

Kyle