PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone keeping these in Canada…

Steeve B
01-10-04, 11:38 AM
Rhino iguanas and Fiji iguanas, wondered if anyone keeps them here.

TheLizardQueen
01-11-04, 01:11 AM
Once, I met a guy at a reptile show I was doing here in Halifax, Nova Scotia who used to own a Rhinocerous Iguana, but that's all I've ever heard of. They certainly aren't common or easy to get by any stretch, but might be possible to obtain in Canada only by special order from an importer (something I would never recommend for many reasons). There are no Canadian breeders that I know of.

As for Fiji Island Iguanas, I know they aren't available around here AT ALL. Aren't they protected or an endangered species?

Were you thinking of getting one of these species or do you keep one of them already?

Denise Ryder
www.4otis.com
e-mail: thelizardqueen@4otis.com

Steeve B
01-11-04, 02:55 AM
yes aim thinking of optaining zoo bred from Europe!
kind of a retierment project
as for rhinos aim alredy working on them.

dlucka
01-11-04, 09:07 AM
Hey, Steeve are you saying that you have some Rhino now??

NiagaraReptiles
01-11-04, 09:22 AM
There was a fellow in Southern Ontario that had a lovely trio of Rhino's back in the day (early 90's). I'm pretty sure he is down to one now, but I haven't kept in touch the past few years.
These are the only Rhino's that I had heard of in the country, though I haven't been actively searching for a few years.

Have you had any babies from yours, Steeve?

As for Fiji's, talk to Crutchfield ;) hahaha
Seriously though, I've heard of more zoological institutions have more and more success with them recently, but nothing more than that. I didn't realize they were even available to private collectors as of yet. Toronto Zoo used to have one (or more) but it's been off display the last few times I've been through.

JonK

Steeve B
01-11-04, 01:14 PM
Sorry I may have misled you, what I meant was aim working on obtaining them from a breeder, it will take a while to get them here and they will only be babies, I guess it will be a long time before they are available from me.
Jon did you see the thread where this guy is offering me Fiji iguanas from Iran? I don’t believe a single word about this, however I cant afford to miss the opportunity shod it be true! I do have an other contact from a zoo who recently obtained eggs, and I have very good odds on importing 1.1.

As for them being protected, yes true! But anyone can apply for proper permits and obtain legal animals from breeders.
Both these iguanas have been my most wanted herp for as long as I remember, cant think of a better project to grow old with.