PDA

View Full Version : my crested gecko, Jessa :)

Clownfishie
08-28-02, 08:32 AM
Just wanted to share a couple of pics of my crested gecko -- her name is Jessa, and I got her from Hilde @ Woodland Edge Herps (who just happens to be Dragndrop, the winner of this month's photo contest with that awesome crested pic!).

Here she is :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p9656e849f82e2406fd11179794a9ab2a/fd585aee.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p4fc1c50f20d292a4a59a22fa6222f983/fd585d37.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/pe6acdd3e4eb248c2d9875f31f00adf4f/fd585c78.jpg

Hope you enjoy :)
Jen

SilverTongue
08-28-02, 11:39 AM
DAATSSS SOOO SWEETT!!

Clownfishie
08-28-02, 12:37 PM
Hehe :)

Thanks -- she's a pretty girl, eh? :) Still no sign of bulges, and we're at 6 months and counting -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

DragnDrop
08-28-02, 02:32 PM
Oh neat!!! I get to see more pics of my grandchild :)
She's sure grown, and has the typical Crestie Charm.
At 6 months, and no sign of any 'family jewels', it's a good chance she's a female. What I don't like about cresties is the last minute change to male - I've had a few get to 11 and even 12 months looking female, and waking up male one morning. I think they do that on purpose, just or the fun of it. They know you can't get mad at such a cute face :p

Clownfishie
08-28-02, 08:32 PM
Hehe :) Yep -- and a beautiful grandkid she is too! Don't let that sweet face fool you, she's really a little psychopath ;) She freaks out every time I go to pick her up (which admittedly isn't often anymore, I'm so scared of her getting loose in the room) -- when does that whole "calming down" that you mentioned take place? ;) Hehe... She seems very happy though -- eats like a little piggie :) It's soooo cute to watch her eat -- she just dives head first at her food, with absolutely no thought to what she might run into -- it's a good thing that substrate is fairly cushy, or she'd probably have a very scrunched in nose ;)

LOL -- I'd have to agree, that's what I'm worried about! Just waking up one day, and finding those family jewels being flashed at me through the glass ;) I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, since she's gone this long with any sign of them! Even at 6 months, if they were there they'd definitely be noticeable, right? I know as adults the males have rather impressive looking "equipment" ;)

Jen

Melly18
08-28-02, 09:31 PM
wow what a cutie! I can't wait to have my own crested hehe

Jazzey
08-29-02, 02:03 PM
Where abouts is this guy?
Where can i buy some?
Does he have a web sight?
Thanks
Jazzey

Clownfishie
08-29-02, 05:42 PM
Hi Jazzey,

Her name is Hilde, and she's located in Waterloo (I think)... She doesn't have a website, but you can contact her at flyliz@sprint.ca ... I think she'll have some pics of her cresteds that're for sale in the next week or so...

Depending on where in Canada you are, there's different reptiles shows throughout the year... there's one coming up in Mississauga on Sept.15, there's usually some cresteds there (and Hilde will be there with some too :)).

Jen

Jazzey
08-30-02, 01:50 AM
:bounce:
Hi,

Thanks for the information but i went to the lfs store today and found a crested gecko breeder here in Victoria that is selling her little babies privately so I hope to have a new one of my own soon.
Again thanks and your little guys are soo cute.
Jazzey

Clownfishie
08-30-02, 06:43 AM
Hehe -- you're in Victoria? Very cool :) I grew up there! Just moved out to Toronto 3.5 years ago... I'll be coming home to visit my family at the end of October, and I always love to look around at petshops (especially good ones!) -- which store were you at?

Jen

Jazzey
08-30-02, 11:37 AM
The pet store that i went to was called Critters & Fins they use ta be on Yates St. but they moved a few weeks ago into a big store on View St.
The staff are great and don't tell u any bs so that's what i like in a pet store, and all so they don't sell any wild caught reptiles.
I will not be purchasing my little crested gecko until October when the baby is ready, since it just hatched a few days ago.
If you would be so kind as ta post a picture of your cage set up that would be great.
Another great pet store is Creatures Great and Small on David St.
I can tell u more if u like?
Have fun on your visit back here.
Thanks,
Brandi:w

Clownfishie
08-30-02, 04:49 PM
Ok cool :) I'll have to try and check that one out while I'm there... I went to Creatures when I was home last Christmas -- it was pretty nice! A bit on the smelly side though... hehe :) My boyfriend actually walked right back out after we went in, and sat in the car while I looked around *grin*.

Here's a pic of Jessa's tank -- it's changed a bit since then, but not much...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/pcbe511a2b198486ca3d4dcc375d7618a/fd585da9.jpg

I've removed the last of the fake vine, because the Pothos plant (the one in the middle) was growing all over the place. And I've planted the live plants directly into the substrate now, whereas before I had kept them in their pots, and just buried those in the substrate. All seems to be going well so far :)

Jen

lance
08-30-02, 11:40 PM
awsome set up clownfishie
you probably mean the pet store creatures great and small which is different from criiters&fins
but love your set up and pics of the new guy i mean girl

Jazzey
08-31-02, 01:25 AM
Thanks Jen,

I am so happy that you posted your pic of your tank so now I have an idea of what I will do ta my tank.
Do you have any tips for me?
All so I do like Cratures but I have ta agree that it is on the stinky side! LOL.
Critters and Fins is a MUST when you get back.
Brandi:)

Clownfishie
08-31-02, 06:30 AM
Thanks lance! :) She seems to be quite happy with it, which is the important thing -- the fact that I like it to is a bonus ;) She's not new though -- I've had her since April! Actually, those pics are a couple of months old too... She's still the same cutie though, just a bit bigger :)

Brandi, I'll be sure to make it into Critters & Fins while I'm home... I think that I'll stay away from Creatures this time though ;) Hehe... As for tips, all that I did was find some cool looking branches that blew down in a windstorm (and clean them of course)... arranged them so she'd have different levels of climbing places, and then added in the plants -- you can go live, or fake, it's up to you. I prefer the look of live, and they help raise & maintain the humidity -- but fake look just fine too :) The substrate is Jungle Blend lizard litter, again to help maintain the humidity -- and make for a somewhat cushy landing when she dives nose first at her dinner ... hehe ;)

Anyhow, gotta run -- going to be late for work!
Jen

DragnDrop
09-01-02, 07:45 AM
This is Jessa's older sister (about 4 or 5 clutches earlier). I can see the family resemblance :)
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/502/321monkeyseemonkeydo.jpg

sophia
09-01-02, 09:06 AM
Crested's are like 3 legs kickin' 1 a**...

Jon

Jazzey
09-02-02, 01:59 AM
I have yet another question for you so i hope you do not mind?
How much did your Crested Gecko cost you?
I have not talked about prices with the breeder yet but am excited all the same about the new addition.
Thanks for your advice,
Brandi:D :)

Clownfishie
09-02-02, 11:36 AM
Hey Brandi,

I paid $120 for her -- standard prices for crested hatchlings seems to be $90-130... tends to depend on how colourful they are. Jessa is a fire, so she'd be in the upper range ... the lighter tan/buff colours tend to be cheaper.

HTH :)
Jen

Jazzey
09-03-02, 11:37 PM
Just thought I would let you know that i am getting a custom made 105 gal crested gecko tank.:p I think my two new future Crested Geckos will be in heaven in it .
:D
Just thought I would pass on the news !
Any tips on what subtrate you use would be great? I guess since i will be putting in babies I should use paper towel? Tell me what u think...
;) :p :) :D
thanks,
Brandi:p

Clownfishie
09-04-02, 06:08 PM
Wow -- that's huge :)

In fact, maybe a little on the big side, especially for just 2 cresties -- and especially when they're young! You don't want it to be too difficult for them to hunt... I mean I'm no expert when it comes to cresties, I only started learning about them in the spring -- but common sense tells me that that might be a bit too much space for 2 little guys. Maybe someone else with more experience can shed a bit more light there....

As for a substrate -- I've had Jessa on the lizard litter since I got her, and she was just over a month old then -- didn't really notice any problems with it, I'm sure it'd be ok with your guys. If you're going to use papertowel, I'd either recommend layering it on there real thick, or putting some kind of foamy mattress type thing underneath it -- Jessa dives nose first at her food all the time, and I think that hitting their faces on the bottom with just the papertowel there wouldn't be too comfy for them -- they'll do better with something to cushion their impact a bit I think :)

Jen

PS - just out of curiosity, how much is the new tank running you?

Jazzey
09-04-02, 08:01 PM
I might not be able to get the baby crested geckos because the breeder does not really want to part with them, thus the pet store is ordering some from Toronto in mid. November so I have ta sit tight until then...or maybe I will just order some from a CDN web sight? If anyone knows of a cool breeder in Canada and that does not mind shipping please let me know and or e-mail me at brandi_head@hotmail.com...thanks.
My friend is building the tank for me and it's going ta set me back around $150.00 big ones, but maybe less then that because my friend said he would only charge me for the supplies he has ta buy for the cage. I think that's a good deal for a gecko cage.
I do realize that if I get baby crested geckos that I will start them off in a small 10 gal tank or something to that size so they get use to hunting and when they are a little older I will move them into the big cage.
Thanks for all your help Jen and DrgnDrop :D :)
I will try and post pictures when the cage is finished.:w