PDA

View Full Version : Fly Gecko ???

Dark_Angel_25
01-08-04, 02:40 PM
I was in a store and saw a Fly Gecko, (I assume they meant a Flying Gecko) but not sure,

It had notches all up it's tail, and webbed feet. It stuck to glass. They were selling it for $30 cdn.

Is this a Flying Gecko?

Are they difficult to take care of?

What are optimum tank size for one?

How can you sex them?

If you can answer these questions for me, or direct me perhaps to a website on them, I would be very appreciative... I haven't seen anything on the forums for them, if this is what it is of course..

Also is $30.00 canadian expensive for a Flying Gecko??

Thanks for your posts and replies!!

:D

vipervenom
01-08-04, 03:43 PM
I know and have seen these guys in the store. $30 bucks is fairly cheep though! They get very big, the one I saw was maybe 6 inches! And, I automatically assumed they need a very large tank or enclosure because the leap and glide a lot and they are big. Sorry I couldn't help you out more though!

reptile boi
01-08-04, 03:46 PM
$30.00 is not cheap, i saw some large ones about 7 inches at petsmart for only $24.99ea. If you look harder you might be able to get them for $20.00ea

Thanks,
Ben:D

Dark_Angel_25
01-08-04, 03:51 PM
Well from what I described, does it sound like a Flying gecko??

and any ideas on the husbandry needed, compared to lets say a Leo or a Crested? ( I own both) I am really curious and loved the look of it, so I want to get some info... I would have a 20 gallon for it (on its side so it is higher) and wanted to know anything else, diet, etc...

oh and how are they handling wise??

Thanks

vipervenom
01-08-04, 04:06 PM
it sounds to me like a flying gecko. I thiink the adult I saw was like $60. Not sure, it was a long time ago.

Dark_Angel_25
01-08-04, 04:21 PM
Well thanks for the info you guys were able to give me, but I am honestly surprised not many people seem to know about them... I will run a search when I get home ( I'll have to race to get the PC before my BF) and hopefully find some info on them.

Again thanks for your help, and if anyone else has ideas or info it would again be very appreciated....

Wuntu Menny
01-08-04, 04:59 PM
I don't know any specifics regarding captive care, but I do know that flying geckos (Ptychozoon kuhli) fit your description. From what I've see, they are virtually always WC and almost guaranteed to be harboring any number of parasites. For this reason you'll want to exercise extreme caution if you're planning on bringing any into your collection.

One of the most common problems with these guys is their tendency to be carrying mites. A very careful inspection of all the little flaps and folds is a good idea before purchasing. Additionally, during the period of quarantine you will want to make careful inspections on a regular basis to insure you didn't miss any. Mortality rates in WC specimens run fairly high, but I have seen animals that have lived for several years in captivity.

They are fairly skittish and not really well suited for handling. As far as allowing for flight space in your cage, I wouldn't worry about that unless you're going to provide an entire room for them. They're designed for tree to tree gliding and won't be performing any aerobatic maneuvers in a 20 gal tank.

I'm sure you'll find some good caresheets with the info you've got and I agree, they are a neat looking gecko.

WM

Dark_Angel_25
01-08-04, 05:01 PM
thank a lot WM. I am looking for some caresheets now, hopefully I find what I need!!

sketchy4
01-08-04, 07:42 PM
i was going to buy one but i couldnt find anyone that bred or carried them. i read in reptile magazine that they could possibly be the "ultimate pe lizard". they seem to be good to handle like a leo rd gecko but are a little nit harder to take care of but not much harder. they are really cool geckos though.

Emily-Fisher
01-08-04, 07:57 PM
As for the handing part, my opinion is completely different. Every flying gecko I have come across is unbelievably vicious and will try to eat you no matter how much food they have in their enclosure. Here are just a couple things about flying geckos that I thought I would share with you. These are all taken from experience.

- These guys are like tokays I find only with a more painful bite.
- These guys will do anything to get out of their enclosures! When I was feeding some at the old old Reptile Amazone, I would lift the lid for one second and they would all run out! So you may want to figure out a feeding technique/method so that your bugger doesn't run out on you! ;)
- Like Wuntu said, these guys often come with a fair share of parasites and rarely have trouble sharing them with any other animals in or around the enclosures. They are like parasite sponges.. they just absorb all the ickies in site.

I personally don't see why somebody would want to own them besides breeding or research. I mean, sure, they're pretty but I noticed that the ones that I was taking care of for a while would always hide so you could never see 'em. You could also never touch them because they are aggressive and because of their delicate skin...

Well, have fun with your future addition!

vipervenom
01-08-04, 08:16 PM
Here is a Flying Gecko care sheet I found.

http://exoticpets.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gekkota.com%2FCa resheets%2FPtychozoon_sp.html

Dark_Angel_25
01-09-04, 01:23 PM
I DO THINK IT IS A FLYING GECKO.. BUT WHAT DO YOU MEAN ABOUT ITS SKIN? oops.. sorry.. yeah what about the skin? nothing on the caresheets says that it can;t be handled?

Kyle Barker
01-09-04, 03:29 PM
reptiles usa 2004 annual issue has an article in it.

Stockwell
01-09-04, 05:01 PM
I have lots of experience with these and have bred them. I once had about 15 of them.
They are nocturnal, secretive, are pretty high maintenance, and consume lots of crickets.
They require a humid environment... I bred mine in 20gallon tall tanks, well planted and with bark slabs and a misting system made from air line tube full of pin holes...
The babies are very cute, but they require tiny food with lots of calcium supplements.
Females lay clutches of one or two calcified eggs, that are glued to the glass or bark. they take almost 3 months to hatch.
The adults stay by the eggs and actually help the babies out by cracking the egg shells...
when multiple clultches are laid communally, sometimes they accidentally break the wrong ones..
I think they hear the baby moving inside, but sometimes goof up and break the egg next to it.

There is nobody commercially breeding these, so you wont be finding anything but WC ones, which often come with orange mites in their folds, which need to be manually removed.
..I bred them for the experience/fun and to prove it could be done, but they are simply too cheap coming out of the wild to make captive propogation worth while..( only a few US bucks each wholesale)
They are however a gorgeous gecko when in good shape and fully grown.

Dark_Angel_25
01-09-04, 07:08 PM
thanks alot for theinfo stockwell. I actually have a friend who knew someone who bred them and is checking if they still do.. so hopefully I will get a CB soon..

vipervenom
01-10-04, 06:21 PM
Let us know because I am a bit interested.