PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Milk SNake

Classic
01-08-04, 10:24 AM
I am partial to the Pueblan Milk Snake as it was my first but i think i also lean toward the Nelsons Milk Snake Albino Strain.

Please tell us your fav if it is not listed.

LTownsend
01-08-04, 02:33 PM
My 1.3 group of yearling black milks are quickly becoming the favorite group out of all the snakes I keep. They are almost all black now and they are simply an awesome ssp. to keep. I would highly reccomend them to anyone interested in a fairly rare milk snake.

Andy_G
01-08-04, 03:17 PM
Defintely the black milks!

Susan Murphy
01-08-04, 06:49 PM
Honduran milk snake is my favorite, because it was my first snake I've become very partial to her out of the other 9 varieties that we have.

vanderkm
01-08-04, 06:54 PM
Hondurans all the way - they have everything I am looking for - impressive size, great temperment and enough color morphs to keep the genetics and breeding interesting.

mary v.

alex_33
01-08-04, 06:56 PM
Andean Milksnakes are my favourite, But Black Milks are a close second.

Invictus
01-08-04, 07:05 PM
I'm partial to Sinaloans (not Sinalones, hehehe) myself.

Edwin
01-08-04, 11:47 PM
Hondos!!!

MarcB
01-11-04, 02:42 PM
With all the genetic combinations coupled with those flashy colors, gotta be hondurans all the way...

Marc
SbS

Jeff Hathaway
01-12-04, 05:42 PM
Easterns, because they're the ones that live around here!

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Stockwell
01-12-04, 10:10 PM
Easterns suck! They might be the nominate but yuck...Double t's have no color...might as well be water snakes, or big DeKays...LOL
(just to bug Jeff & Katt)

I like the bright tacky southern subspecies... Hondurensis,abnorma, Campbelli, Sinaloae/nelsoni, even annulata I still breed and just can't get rid of.
Black milks are new to me and interesting, I'm enjoying their good temperment... Now if campbelli behaved like gaigeae.... that would be my all time fav.
I'm sure some moron will be crossing them eventually of course that will probably backfire and just make ugly spastic Blackbelli :)

JD@reptiles
01-13-04, 12:05 PM
personally i do not like milk snakes. they seem kinda boring. if i had to choose i would say eastern or black milk.

Herpsrus
01-13-04, 02:04 PM
I would have to say easterns for the reason mentioned above....they live here in Ontario.

Mike

PaulBar
01-13-04, 10:32 PM
Hondurans all the way. They have a great temperament, eat well, look great and grow big. Easy to care for if you know the basics of reptile care.

P

Stockwell
01-15-04, 04:24 AM
I've been a tricolor fan from back when nobody in Canada had any.... I've kept and bred many and like most of the southern forms...
but how can you really beat Hypo hondurans..
I have the albinos too,(mary has a screamer) but man Hypos I can look at all day..heres one of mine, from my old friend Steve Hammack.

When it comes to keeping tris, they gotta hurt your eyes, ! :)

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1801myhypohondo-med.jpg

vanderkm
01-15-04, 10:46 AM
Waxing poetic on us Roy?!

That is an absolutely stunning snake - hypo with almost equal band width - very, very nice. I need one (or more!) of these!

mary v.

Stockwell
01-15-04, 05:16 PM
You caught that eh? LOL....hey it was late
Mary that snake Terry sent you is out of this world....
What exactly is it? Is it a tangerine albino or a hybino?

vanderkm
01-15-04, 07:03 PM
Thanks Roy - he is a gorgeous one - the narrow bands are quite dark, which I like - just wish they were broader. There is a genetic possibility that he is hybino based on the breeding pair he is from, but I believe he is just a tangerine albino (with a good chance of being het hypo). The reason I don't think he is hybino is that he has barely visible white tipping on many of his orange scales. My reasoning is that if hypo reduces black tipping, when you take the black out in the albino, hypo should reduce the white tipping and you should have a very strongly orange snake, not a pale orange. I am not sure how much black (grey) is left in the hypos, so not sure how much of a white tip would be present in a hybino, but in him it is not completely eliminated.

Still he is a nice snake - great feeder and decent temperament too. Can hardly wait til he is grown up a bit more and I have been able to get the girls I need for him,

mary v.

Classic
01-16-04, 09:57 PM
Its about time someone choose that lonely Coastal Plains.
I guess the Conanti just isn't popular enough yet either.
I'm looking forward to breeding the conanti out. They are a pretty calm milk snake as well as another pretty tri.

Brian
HighWaterHerps

Anole93
01-17-04, 12:57 AM
BLACK!

Champe
01-18-04, 11:05 AM
First I dont remember a question of what milksnakes you dont like.

I have raised and breed most of the snakes listed and for color and temperment the "Mexican" which has lost faverability in recent times withe all the crosses.

Stockwell
01-18-04, 11:41 PM
Brian, Coastal plains milks sometimes referred to as "temporalis" are not recognized as a legitimate subspecies of triangulum by Williams.
They are intergrades between elapsoides and the nominate form triangulum triangulum(eastern milk)

Also I have never known anyone to have Conants milks.. In most cases they are probably Polyzona, Oligozona or even Hondurensis...They are all very similar and without collection data, It's quite difficult keying those out even using Williams.

Classic
01-19-04, 08:48 AM
Almost half of my collection came from the USA and the conants were a great find. I'll get a few good pics of the conants and my mexicans later today. Do you have a link for the Williams enc ?

Thanks.

Brian

Classic
01-19-04, 08:11 PM
Roy, The Conanti have alot of black tiping on both the red and white bands and the nose cap almost connects with the first black band. A normal trait for this ssp. The black tiping on mine is very evident on the red but has yet to start on the white in significant amounts but they are still young animals.
Barrons states that the white does not have black tiping.
What does the Williams say?
My conanti are a third generation originating from Roger Conants wild caught specimens in 1996.

Brian

Classic
01-19-04, 08:19 PM
Lampropeltis triangulum conanti
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1478Conanti_009-med.jpg
Lampropeltis triangulum Conanti
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1478Conanti_scale_005-med.jpg
Lampropeltis triangulum annulata
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1478Mexican010.jpg