PDA

View Full Version : What makes a pet store?

nuno
01-04-04, 12:39 PM
What makes a pet store?

1-customer service
2-selection of animals
3-asthetics
4-prices
5-other

Tim_Cranwill
01-04-04, 12:53 PM
- Knowledgeable staff
- Healthy animals
- Good husbandry (clean cages and etc)

SerpentLust
01-04-04, 02:18 PM
Exactly what Cranwill said

sapphire_moon
01-04-04, 02:30 PM
I put other because you don't have

Health and well being of animals

Up on your choices...

Health and well being of all animals,
how clean the store is (and cages)
and knowledgeable employees

drewlowe
01-04-04, 05:18 PM
Yep i fully agree with cranwill

Linds
01-04-04, 05:56 PM
-Knowledgeable, <b>honest</b>, friendly staff
-Good customer service
-Proper husbandry
-Availability of animals (perhaps they don't stock a lot of animals, will they order them in for you?)
-Healthy animals
-Fair prices (of course you won't find anything dirt-cheap, but some places are outrageous)
-Although they do need to be business-minded, they do consider the animals' well-being with every sale (or lack there of ;))
-Clean feeders
-Clean and organized store

Big_V
01-05-04, 10:43 PM
Being a person that used to work in a pet store when I was starting out in reptiles Ive realised that stores are just trying to make a buck, but its the employees and their love for the animals they are caring for that really makes it. If the staff are passionate about what they are doing the animals are in good care. Because honest staff will always keep the health of the animals in mind.

daver676
01-05-04, 10:52 PM
Other.

Condition and overall health of animals. I can't believe that isn't in there.

CHRISANDBOIDS14
01-05-04, 10:55 PM
What eveyone has said.

marisa
01-05-04, 10:56 PM
Consistantly nice healthy qaulity animals.

Marisa

Wuntu Menny
01-06-04, 12:04 AM
All of the above... You know, one of these days a bunch of us are going to hook up and create the quintessential herp store. As far as I'm concerned it can't happen soon enough!

WM

Oops, I missed something. I'd like to see legitimate quarantine/isolation for all incoming specimens from unknown or questionable sources.

Tim and Julie B
01-06-04, 12:20 AM
WM I'm with you on both points! Maybe Tim and I should move out there:D I am literally craving to work/run/own (whatever) a GOOD pet store. Actually, I wouldn't buy specimens from unknown or questionable sources to sell in a pet store. Those would only end up in my private collection. I covet, I covet. LOL Between "all" of us we breed enough to have unquestionably healthy stock:D

So if I have to vote on the points given, it would be other!

JULIE

Wuntu Menny
01-06-04, 12:56 AM
I didn't include the followup the the PS; the isolation etc would only apply to the stock for the onsite breeding program not public resale. I just thought that it might be pushing the envelope a bit to include it in the poll. That's my dream store, not what I expect from local yokels.

WM

Tim and Julie B
01-06-04, 01:21 AM
Damn yokels! Big store, with it's own breeding program, gottcha. Like I said, I covet. Hard time sharing:D It really is a 'dream' isn't it? Kinda sad really, but maybe one day eh?

JULIE

Wuntu Menny
01-06-04, 01:29 AM
Keep reaching for that rainbow!! LOL!

ChristinaM
01-06-04, 08:38 AM
Well, I put "other" because it is definately a combanation of some of the things posted.

Aesthetics are not high on the list. I mean, I don't like walking into somewhere that reeks like it hasn't been cleaned in a month. But I'm talking general decor. it does not have to be fancy to appeal to me.

Cleanliness of cages: well, honestly, in the herp cages I do not mind seeing "some" fecal matter. That allows me to see how the animal is poo'in and digesting, etc. A pristine tank gives off false appearance, and no insight onto the animal's health. Don't confuse this with a cage covered in crap, that's diffrent.

Knowledgable staff. Definate must. If they don't know the answer, I like hearing that. My fav. store, if they don't know the answer, they have many books that are behind the counter and will look it up. If they still don't know the answer they will ask someone. ( ex. the other day I got a call from them, asking me how to sex leopard gecko's :) )

Friendliness: knowing the repeat customers. I like being able to walk in on Friday's and they know I want feeder fish. Many people walk in and immediately the staff know what they are looking for. I like that personableness( you know what I mean)

Healthy stock: if something is not well, I expect to see a not for sale sign on it. Not a store selling bearded dragons that are bone thin and having a hard time walking....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Willingness: again, my local store.....if you are looking for something, you can ask. If they can get it in, they will for you. Alot of things may not be kept in stock because they are not regularily sold. I'm talking both "goods" and livestock.

There's more, but I think ya'll get my drift.

chas*e
01-06-04, 08:46 AM
Respect for the welfare of the animals

Cas
01-07-04, 02:41 AM
Besides healthy animals and knowledgable staff..... a large selection of good quality stock! I would love to some day be able to get exactly what I want without having to 'make do' or have it shipped across half the country.

Dawn

Yness
01-07-04, 02:51 AM
yah...what they said...
Staff that know what they are doing and care about the animal; not the sale. They should be able to answer questions about their department. Also well supplied in feed be it processed food or animal. And this list could go on for ever but husbandry knowledge etc.

Yness