PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good lizard to get..

Dabum
08-21-02, 05:56 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I'm looking for a good type of lizard to get. Would like something that isnt TO expensive (up to $200 CND) and gets about 2-3ft long. Would like if they ate rodents since I once had a large cricket accident in my house which was NOT a pretty scene :). What type would be good? That price could even be when they are babies. Also give me some idea on what size cage/tank would be needed etc.

Thanks alot!

Gillards
08-21-02, 06:11 PM
Uromastyx are a great lizard. They don't get big. 12-14 inches. they don't eat bugs or mice only veggies. and damb the babies are cute!!!
Lorraine Gillard

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/187uro-thumb.jpg
Gillard's Herps Canada (http://www.geocities.com/gillardsherpscanada)

Linds
08-21-02, 06:30 PM
I agree with Lorraine on Uros being awesome lizards for any level keeper. Another good lizard that gets a little larger is an Acanthurus Monitor (Ackies). They usually finish up around 2' and are a great first monitor, though they are a bit pricier than the Uros, but good if you can spare the extra cash. There are quite a few others but they demand a much higher price tag such as spiny tailed monitors, etc. Blue Tongue skinks could also be a good choice for you (though not a favourite of mine, alot of people enjoy them) and they eat just about everything...lol. Fruit, mice, veggies, etc. All these animals need a fairly roomy enclsoure, I wouldnt dare go below a 55 gallon for the Uros and Blue Tongue, the Ackies need an even larger enclosure (though the others can beneift from more space as well).

Oh! I nearly forgot about Chinese Water Dragons ($30-$60) they are at the larger end of your specs (usually about 3'), but are very affordable to purchase initially. Downfall for you is they eat crickets and mealies as babies. They require high humidity and a minimum of a 4(L) x 3(H) x 2(W) enclosure as adults.

NiagaraReptiles
08-22-02, 06:40 AM
Linds, just a little curious what the difference between an Acanthurus Monitor and a Spiny-tailed Monitor is? :)

They are great Monitors and in my opinion, one of the best choices for anyone who is looking for a small, active, and interesting lizard to keep as a pet or breed.
Typically, Yellow Ackies (<i>Varanus acanthurus brachyurus</i>) don't exceed 20 inches in total length but Red Ackies (<i>Varanus acanthurus acanthurus</i>) will get a little larger.

Best wishes to all,

JonK

Linds
08-22-02, 07:37 AM
Guess I need to brush up on my dwarf monitors :o Ive always thought the two to be totally different as Ive seen them priced really different by breeders (a $400+ difference). Ive always known about them as Ackies, but just recently in the past year heard of "spiny-tailed monitors". Thanks for the clarification ;)

NiagaraReptiles
08-22-02, 09:53 AM
No harm done, and I hope you didn't take any offence from my comments, as it was posted in good nature :)

As for a price difference, they typically go for the same price from breeder to breeder in Canada (not that there are too many of us), but our price up here is more than in the US as they are still rather rare in Canada as well as difficult to import (they can't come in leagally from the US).

There is a lot of headaches when dealing with Australian Monitors and borders. The good part of it all is that is keeps them as a good investment animal here in Canada for a couple more years at least.

JonK

lance
08-22-02, 04:52 PM
so to settel what is the difference is there a difference are they the same?
ackie and the spinytail are the samething right??

snakedude_03
08-22-02, 05:06 PM
arent ackies and them monitors over $200? Dadum was looking for lizards under $200 right? i dunno that much about about lizards. but how about savahna monitor? i used to hear dom talk about them quite alot..and those arent that exspensive..

lance
08-23-02, 05:22 PM
savs get quite large though and eat mice
if your not willing to feed criks probably wont want to feed mice
just a thought
and yes i believe ackies cost about $400.00 to $600.00

NiagaraReptiles
08-24-02, 06:35 AM
Yes, "Ackies" is an abreviated form of the Latin name <i>Varanus acanthurus</i>. Ackies, Spiny-tailed, Ridge-tailed are all general terms used for both available subspecies of <i>Varanus acanthurus</i>.

We did get a little off topic here from the origional post, but they do fit the bill other than the price tag. Savannah monitors are cheap (the w/c and c/h) but they surely aren't for the novice Varanid keepers, contrary to popular belief. In all honesty, if one was considering getting any type of Monitor Lizard and price was an issue......monitors are not for you. They are very time consuming, and expensive animals to keep (properly).

Sorry for drifting off a little more guys.

JonK

PS - My avatar is a Yellow Spiny-tailed monitor (<i>V. a. brachyurus</i> - aka; Yellow Ackie) hatching.