PDA

View Full Version : The Most Escape Proof???

Dragon_Slave
12-14-03, 04:43 PM
I have been talking to numerous corn snake owners and have come across the fact that there are many different opinions of what kind of enclosure is the most escape proof for a hatchling corn snake.

I would like some more opinions.. thanks!

Here's what I've got so far...

1. Sterlite container with holes punched in and a heavy book on top

2. 10 gallon tank with screen that locks down on the sides

3. Kritter Keeper- Reptile Ranch by Lee's

Simon
12-14-03, 04:52 PM
I've used all three before. I think that Kritter Keeper by Lees is one of the best.
Sterlite is what I am using right now and I have had escapes before. Which is not at all fun...but its the lowest cost...what can you expect from them..I use them cause I have over 600 corn snakes...and it's just easier to clean, feed and house them in...

but if you have one or two a 10 gallon tank with screen lids would be good enough. (but of course for hatchlings to yearlings only...once they out grow the tank you'll need to buy another one.
The ones that are produced by Lee are great~ and if you only have a few corns you can't really go wrong with them~

Hope this helped~

Weather1
12-14-03, 04:56 PM
I use 20 gallon tanks with screen that locks down on the sides, on all my corns. Right from little babies to over a year old. I have never had one escape. (knock on wood)

Dragon_Slave
12-14-03, 06:28 PM
Weather... does your 20 gallon tank have lid clamps or does it actually clamp down on the sides? Anyone know where I can get one of those in the states?

Weather1
12-14-03, 06:45 PM
They clamp on the sides of the tank. I will try and get a pic for you.

Weather1
12-14-03, 06:50 PM
These are not the exact ones (same concept) I use but they should work fine. Thy are available in the US

http://www.zoomed.com/html/screen_covers.php

Dragon_Slave
12-14-03, 09:17 PM
Thank You VERY much! :)

Andy_G
12-14-03, 09:46 PM
I use a rubbermaid with binder clips on it. I can't get a toothpick through anything but the holes with that thing LOL.

Stockwell
12-15-03, 01:30 AM
The only thing I trust for baby corns is rubbermaid shoebox size containers with the snap on lid,(not those hinged ones) but only that size. All the lids on sterilites are crappy and wont keep baby snakes in.
20 gallon tanks are big for baby snakes, and most commerical lids don't fit well enough.
Once the lights are out, corns will go right up the silicone and around and around the rim of the lid. Any slight gap much bigger than 1/16 inch will be found and your snake will be out.
Hatchling corns are one of the hardest snakes to keep in cages.

Dragon_Slave
12-15-03, 01:52 AM
Andy... what are ''binder clips''? Could you get me a pic? lol

bailey
12-15-03, 12:44 PM
I'm using sterilite containers and strapping the tops down with tiny bunjee(sp?) cords. It's working great and I don't think there's much of a possibility of escape. Guess I'll find out when they get here.
Denise