PDA

View Full Version : Mali Urmarastic

snakess
08-20-02, 12:33 PM
Has anyone ever kept Mali Urmarastics here? if so how are they for pets are they show pets or social pets that you can handle thankso>

and does anyone have any recommendatio about what kiind of lizard would be a good starter for me.

Gillards
08-20-02, 02:52 PM
Mali Uromastyx are a great first lizard. And best ofall hardly any crickets and they don't get very big.
I will post a pic in a little bit.
Lorraine Gillard

snakedude_03
08-20-02, 03:18 PM
how about leopard geckos?

Cornelsworld
08-20-02, 03:34 PM
Bearded Dragons for sure

Linds
08-20-02, 03:35 PM
Both Mali Uromastyx and Leopard geckos make for great starter lizards. Though I am not a big lizard person, both of these species are awesome in my books. Uromastyx are great if ya don't want crickets running around your house, Leos are good if you need smaller space requirements. Both are very handleable and hardy. African Fat Tailed geckos are also up there with the leos and their care is similar. Can't go wrong with any of these choices ;)

jason h
08-20-02, 04:45 PM
malis are great little lizards and very handlable!!!

Bartman
05-08-03, 08:48 PM
i have 2 mali uromastyx and i would have to say they are the best lizard ever! IMO ! and they are very cheep on food because a big bulk of the vegetables they need is like a doller and last for about a month..they are mainly vegetarians so they also dont need much meat in there diet...they are really really enjoyable to watch because they always look so curious and are extremely active during the day...i would have to say they are both a good show pet and a very fun handling pet...there are a bit quick though so they could run out of your hand quite easily..haha
but i would definetly suggest a mali uromastyx..or and uro for that matter...but i am only really educated in mali's so others might not be as active or somthin..i dunno but good luck with your liz!

take it EZ

Leo-Land
05-09-03, 10:39 AM
Personally, I don't think Uromastyx in general is a great first lizard. They need a lot of care. Daily feeding, heat up to 130º+, lots of room, UVB. I would go for something easier to care for, like a leopard gecko or a beardie. Leopard geckos would be the easiest. One leo could live it's life out in a 10 gallon, there is no need for UVB, no misting, no need for dusting (if you have a calcium dish available at all times), just throw mealies in a bowl for their food, a dry hide, and a humid hide. That's all you really need for leos. Uromastyx need much more then this.

If you do decide to get a uromastyx, please read the care sheets on http://www.deerfernfarms.com. If you would like a leopard gecko, please read up on them as well. My leopard gecko site link is in my sig.

lynsey_togofire
05-09-03, 02:35 PM
not meaning to have to correct you, Leo-Land, but Mali's require a bit different care measures then what you said. first of all, their temperature should only be between 115-120 degrees. their bedding should be of sand because it holds the heat better then most beddings and they LOVE to dig in it. they DO NOT need misting...they in fact should get their water instead from their food. which means watering the food before you give it to them. their humidity should be AS LOW AS POSSIBLE! they should have about a 40-50 gallon tank by themselves because they are soooo active. if you have more then one, a 75 gallon is the minimum you should have. they are really weird shedders. they shed in sections, so helping them is a must. if you want to have a good starter lizard, PLEASE!!!!!! don't get a Mali... get a Leopard Gecko or something easy like them. they require less room and they are really easy going pets. wait on the Mali's until you have more experience with herps...k? please take my advice...too many people have Mali's in less then perfect conditions. hope that helps a bit in your decision.
lynsey :)

Leo-Land
05-09-03, 02:47 PM
Not to argue or anything.. But on many care sheets it says this

"One of the most important things about keeping Uromastyx is they are heat lovers, The basking site MUST reach a minimum of 120 degrees F. Ours often reaches 150 degrees F +. This is actually easy to produce with a spot light shining over a smooth piece of slate or other suitable rock. "

I got that from

http://www.gillardsherpscanada.com/care_sheet_for_the_mali_uromasty.htm

That is where I got my info from.

snakemann87
05-09-03, 02:53 PM
I totally agree with the information that leo has given. I do not own any uros, but i have read ALOT about them, since i almost purchased one.

Bartman
05-09-03, 03:16 PM
that was a good reply snakemann87...i doubt that helped snakess in any way what soever..dont post for nothin..if you have somthing that is worth saying than post it.

you just posted that so you can get a high amount of posts in ur account...i just ask...what is that gonna do for you?!?!?
sheesh!

Leo-Land
05-09-03, 03:27 PM
You need to settle down Bartman... Your post was definately not needed. Please do not try to start fights on these forums. That's a great way to loose any respect people have for you.

snakemann87
05-09-03, 03:30 PM
why i post, i have a good reason. I in no way post to get more points, do not accuse me of that you dont even know me. I posted to clarify which information was right. Leos or Lynseys. What if a new uro owner reads this thread? Right there are two different types of information. What should he belive?? What i did was help in clarifying the right information. I believe the only one who has posted for no reason, is you.

Bartman
05-09-03, 04:18 PM
ok bud..whatever

no hard feelings?

snakemann87
05-09-03, 04:29 PM
no not at all, i was just telling you my reason for posting

Bartman
05-09-03, 06:47 PM
ok..sorry if i seemed angry or anything causs i wasnt i just didnt understand wyh the post was neccessary..now i understand :)