PDA

View Full Version : Common names vs. Scientific

atheris
11-27-03, 12:50 PM
I dont know how to say this, but why almoust everybody in this and other forums where are lots of users from USA, use common names, when talking about snakes ?!!

Example for me its very frustrating, cause i dont have a clue whats WDB EDB etc.. well i know these two:D.

But if everybody will use scientific names there is no misunderstading what species are we talking about.

Kert Lipponen

WWW.HOTSNAKES.ORG

shaggybill
11-28-03, 01:24 PM
Main reason I do it is because I dont want to have to type Crotalus Adamateus every time I want to reference an eastern diamondback rattlesnake. Its much easier to type EDB.

Actually spelling out the scientific name would be more professional, but man, it would be a pain too. I can see your point, it would be easier to know which exact snake a person is talking about, but most of the time, people here know which one your speaking of without having to type out that extremely long, difficult-to-spell scientific name.

On the other hand, what you mention would make it easier for those who are not from English speaking countries.

What to do, what to do...?

herpetological
11-28-03, 02:00 PM
But we all have done this at one time or the other. Just like when we refer to "Reds" or "Yellows" here in Florida. We are refering to Red Rat Snakes or Corn Snakes and Yellow Rat Snakes or Chicken Snakes. The latin would be politically correct but, time consuming. If the discussion is taxonomy then latin should definately be used. I don't think anyone would be offended if you asked what an abreviation was for.

Crotalus75
11-28-03, 03:00 PM
This isn't a scientific forum for the most part. Also, as bill stated it's a pain in the butt. :)

reverendsterlin
11-28-03, 03:27 PM
I use latin when any possibility of doubt arises, E.g.g. means something where ratsnake doesn't

Crotalus75
11-28-03, 03:32 PM
Dito...

Mustangrde1
11-29-03, 10:01 AM
The Latin would be far great for anyone seriously in to the species but we must keep in mind that 1 Kids would have no clue what we are talking about . 2 the novice keeper would have no clue either. 3 people just getting or thinking about getting in to the hobby would also be clueless. So for the purpose of keeping it simple for everyone I try to use only the common name.

There are a few forums that are heavy in the science and latin aspect such as Dr Fry's site and I still have to reffer back to searching the species and that takes forever and for a new person could be frustrating.

cobraman
11-29-03, 11:12 AM
Kert, You have a valid point, but keep in mind that this forum has a lot of readers that do not understand all the scientific names. I believe that more readers would know what a coral snake is than micrurus fulvious fulvious etc. On the other hand, if I wer making a post about a coral snake I would type out "coral snake" instead of simply c.s.. I can see where comon name abreviations can cause some confussion.
Ray

C.m.pyrrhus
12-04-03, 03:06 PM
I use both, depending on how I need to get my point across. Using scientific names helps other learn them faster as well by repetition. Just like common names, at times there are two or more "accepted" latin names for species. I refer to AZ Blacks as C.cerberus, but there are those that still use the viridis name (Crotalus viridis cerberus), or some names have gone back to the original...Crotalus viridis nuntius (Hopi Rattlesnake) is again plain ol' C.v.viridis. There is as well the fact many folks who begin with latin names that mispell the word, so then there is a bit of confusion as to what is being referred to.

So, by using common names in basic discusions works for those who do not know and to make things easier when typing, discusing, etc. Abreviations are used often also, and sometimes they can be hard to know but eventually as folks get used to seeing them used they get the hang of it. Some folks even use abbreviations of latin names as well, like "I love klaubs" or "Mithchelli are cool as beans".......both shortened uses of latin names. Even though some folks are new, I have a belief that it 'forces' folks interested to take a gander at latin when it is used in common everyday discussions. I do not think it hurts, but only makes inquiring minds want to know more. Sometimes simple is nice too. :D

chas*e
12-09-03, 11:12 AM
The best solution is to know both the Scientific name with the Common name......correct

nolagurl
12-10-03, 05:52 PM
I'm pretty new to the herp world. I make an effort to use scientific names but I don't have time to sit and memorize the latin names. The common name usually wins.