PDA

View Full Version : Cage Bedding

josefg
08-16-02, 04:06 AM
i am new to snake keeping, and will be getting my first snake soon. What do you recommend me to use as bedding for the aquariam where i am to keep the snake.

Thankyou

Josefg

sSNAKESs.com
08-16-02, 04:30 AM
I would suggest paper towell... it doesnt look the best, but clean up is a breeze! :)

Linds
08-16-02, 07:20 AM
I agree with Jeff, papertowel works great for all types of environments ranging from humid to arid. You never mentioned what species you were keeping so we cannot give much input on more natural substrates.................

Syst3m
08-29-02, 03:34 AM
Substrate.. Paper towel or Printless news paper (nothing with print, ink is poison).. or if you wanna spend a little more cash and get a substrate that is excellent for almost any type of snake I have been using the Ground up coconut bark (the finely ground stuff) The Stuff is Great. It can be used completly dry or moistened and it can be used as a soil too. Yes that means plants can grow in it. VERY versitile stuff. reply to me if you want me to send you some links of the exact stuff I am using.
Its not for use in breeding really since its fairly expensive to buy in large amounts But if your just keeping 2 or 3 cages the stuff is great.

josefg
08-29-02, 03:46 AM
tnx a lot syst3m but for now i think that i'll stick to paper towels

Syst3m
08-29-02, 05:43 AM
Oh Negate my comment about ink. I guess people use black and white print safely. Paper Towel is Excellent.
Clean Sanitary and cheap !

Nicky
08-29-02, 09:32 AM
yup papaer towles u just change em once a day and poof happy clean snake

Big Mike
08-29-02, 10:19 AM
About the ink in newspaper…I read somewhere that the most common black ink is vegetable based and therefore not harmful. The color ink however is not so nice.

reverendsterlin
08-29-02, 11:35 AM
another easy inexpensive substrate is indoor/outdoor carpet. it allows you to have a background color that complements the snakes coloration, it is fairly inexpensive, when soiled just lift out give the glass a quick wipe and insert the new piece. Cleaning the carpets should be done in cold water because they shrink

Syst3m
08-29-02, 12:10 PM
I thought Carpets tend to breed germs???
And were difficult to clean well.

I still stick with my Coconut bark... looks great and easy to clean. works like scoopable cat litter.

:)

Big Mike
08-29-02, 12:36 PM
The indoor/outdoor carpet (Astroturf) is made of plastic and can be cleaned much better than a fabric carpet. Fabric carpet can breed germs because it traps things while the turf lets things wash off quite easily.

Cidah
08-29-02, 01:09 PM
I use Zoomed's Repticarpet in my cages and I just change them when they're soiled and throw them in the washer, what is more convenient than that? This stuff is super absorbent, looks nice, fairly inexpensive. The only complaint I have is that using it with an aquarium it's hard to keep the humidy up to a good level.

josefg
08-29-02, 01:15 PM
Thankyou all for your interest in my question.

Linds: I will be getting a kingsnake donno which variant yet.

Hey people have you got any online sources from where i can buy the Astroturf carpet?

Josef