PDA

View Full Version : Wanna hear about a crazy rescue???

KolleenJ
08-16-02, 03:35 AM
I was called by Sandy City(close to where I live) and was informed to call a person who had a big snake. M'kay....so I did.
Well...it came to be a woman who had 2 retics that were left by a roommate who was thrown in jail for awhile. Hmmmm I thought. She said she was terrified of them and she had small children in the house. She also said their enclosure had'nt been cleaned for awhile. Well' I rpoceeded to get more info on them and was instructed by her to come get the "MONSTERS" the next day. Soooo, I drove about 45 mins to her house. I walked in the door and could smell the snakes. I proceeded to walk towards the "cage" is you could call it that, in the corner of the room. It was a crappy ply-wood about 6x2x2, that had a lid that was broken and liftable with 1 finger(how they didnt escape was beyond me). I peered inside, and to my suprise, there were a 10 ft female and a 7 ft male Retic. Both were Tigers to my supprise. They were laying in a poop-filled, urine soaked cage. Man it was grose. No heat and dirty water. Sheesh....
I quickly loaded them up and took them from that place. I went home and bulit the each their own melaine 6x2x2's for now anyways...lol
Man I couldnt believe I just got 2 sub adult Tigers for free. I also couldnt believe the conditions they were kept in. The female looked OK, but the male had 2-3 retained shed layers and what look to be old baytril scars.????
Its hard to believe tha someone would spend $1000(what this pair of snakes were worth at hatchlings a few years ago) and treat them like dirt.
They ar both the most beautiful things Ive ever seen. The female is tame and the male is very nippy, but he looks as if he wasnt fed much. He is pretty thin. They are both quite small for their suposed ages. A 7ft at 2 years retic is small dont ya think??? And the female, Ive seen females 12-14 ft at two years easy. Well, at least they are in good hands now and will be loved and well taken care of with me. I dont think Ill ever adopt them out. Ill keep them forever. Thats how attached to them I already am.

I took the female to show her off at the wasatch show a few weeks ago. Here is her with a friend of mine. Isnt she a beauty???

sSNAKESs.com
08-16-02, 04:32 AM
DAMN NICE!!!!!! wish someone would call me with a rescue like that!! lol congrats Koleen! :)

corr
08-16-02, 07:14 AM
Congrats to you AND the snakes, Kolleen!

Linds
08-16-02, 07:33 AM
Goregeous! Congrats on your new additions. Keep us posted with their progress :)

SilverTongue
08-16-02, 08:24 AM
DANG she looks like pure amber! I love it!!! Lucky bugger!!!!

Big Mike
08-16-02, 08:59 AM
If the captive snakes of the world have a guardian angel...it's you. Congrats and keep up the good work. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PoiSoNouS
08-16-02, 11:59 AM
WOW !!!
She is a REAL beauty...
Im sure she and her boy are in good hands now..
Great rescue story :D
Lucky Kolleen.. ;)

BIG SCOTT
08-16-02, 04:34 PM
Great looking snakes.

McPatch
08-16-02, 05:25 PM
Taht is one sweet looking snake

Grant vg
08-17-02, 12:08 AM
That is one amazing snake!
and tame too!!!!!:D

Congrats.

Quervo
08-17-02, 12:21 AM
Beuatiful snake Kolleen, but she looks to be eyeing your friend up for dinner.:D :eek:

Lisa
09-08-02, 08:38 PM
It's always sad when a snake is in a position that it needs rescuing, but it's great when there's some one there to rescue them. Hope they turn out to be great snakes for you.

reverendsterlin
09-08-02, 09:19 PM
and all I get calls on is Crots and glossys usually, what a snake and what a score

Tim_Cranwill
09-08-02, 09:23 PM
Wow, nice rescue! What a beautifu snake. I hope they stay healthy for you.

p.s. You're lucky I wasn't in Utah visiting my Mom, or you might have had to fight me for them.... kidding....sort of. ;)

Syst3m
09-08-02, 11:53 PM
I second that, Nice snakes and glad they found a great home.