PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass and uth???

PO_0784
08-15-02, 08:04 AM
a yes or no? (I bother since its plastic-like!!)??
tHX

reverendsterlin
08-15-02, 08:20 AM
with a good reostat and careful monitoring probably not a problem. Why not heat-tape, a person heatpad, or a radient panel so there is no concern?

Quervo
08-15-02, 11:29 AM
As long as your uth doesn't get too hot (over 100 deg. or so) you should be okay. What are you keeping? If it is for snakes or lizards, as long as the cage is well ventilated you shouldn't have any probs .. frogs or newts can be more sensitive to any gassing from hot plastic, and if the heated part is covered with water, it could affect the water quality. (although I'm getting a bit over-cautious with that one:D )

Linds
08-15-02, 06:26 PM
No heating device should ever be allowed to reach temperatures hot enough to melt or burn any materials. So as long as you follow that rule you should have no worries. I agree with Quervo however, amphibians are much mroe snesitve to many things such as offgassing (which heated plexi will increasingly do) so I woudl be careful with that one. And I feel like a geek always repeating myself, but I feel compelled to do so whever the idea of using a human heat pad for herps is brought up. IMO human heat pads should be avoided for heating reptiles. Sure, many people have used them wihtout incident and much success for years, but some people have also lost their collections and homes to them as well. They are a fire hazard. They may have all the built in settings, etc., making them quite convenient, but the fact still remains that they were not designed to be left on 24/7. Personally, I would rather spend a few extra dollars and buy something that was designed for the purpose and the extra control devices needed. I feel its a small price to pay, when everything has been taken into consideration.