PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning agents....

Tom P
08-14-02, 08:38 PM
What does evryone here use for cleaning out their enclosures? What is safe and effective? Bleach? I need some insight.

Tom P

sparkon16
08-14-02, 08:44 PM
quatsyl is a great cleaning ageant for inside enclosures and around it is very potent and comes in big jugs that are a little expensive but lasta while. Just be sure to read the directions b4 use.

Tom P
08-14-02, 09:41 PM
where would i buy that stuff?

Quervo
08-14-02, 10:25 PM
I use a spray bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide (the same thing you use for cuts) and then a spray bottle of vinegar. Very naturlal and is one of the best disinfectants around. IMO bleach is just too dangerous. One mistake and no more pet.

Linds
08-15-02, 06:24 AM
Right on Quervo! I use peroxide and vinegar as well steam for most of my disinfection jobs. For routine cleaning I just use antibacterial dishsoap :)

Linds
08-15-02, 06:24 AM
Right on Quervo! I use peroxide and vinegar as well steam for most of my disinfection jobs. For routine cleaning I just use antibacterial dishsoap :) Bleach is terrible, produces some harmful fumes and also is absorbed by plastic :eek:

lance
08-15-02, 08:18 AM
i've just used vinegar and water i'll try the peroxide thanks for the tip

reverendsterlin
08-15-02, 08:28 AM
yeah I use the anti-bacterial dish soap as well for the actual scrubbing down and vinegar for the glass polishing. For the plexi fronts I use ammonia and soft cloth and have to ventilate for a few hours, much more hassle.

Quervo
08-15-02, 11:36 AM
Lance: Yup .. vinegar is good .. peroxide is good, but evidently when you use them together they are great.:D . They work better if sprayed seperately though for some reason .. if you just mix them in a spray bottle it is not as effective .. go figure.

Linds: Hmmm .. bleach is absorbed by plastic .. makes sense, but I didn't know that. I'll file that away for future ranting. :D :D

Big Mike
08-15-02, 11:53 AM
I can't remember...do you buy Hydrogen Peroxide in a 3% soloution? Or do you mix it with water to get that?

Quervo
08-15-02, 09:42 PM
You should be able to pick it up premixed at a drug store. I get mine at London Drugs.

sophia
08-15-02, 09:56 PM
Quervo,
They probably work better seperately because you can use vinegar to neutralize an acid burn to the skin, that being so, it probably causes the peroxide's bubbling action to cease when mixed making it less effective.

Just a thought, not sure it's correct, but I've used vinegar to neutralize the burn of a couple of acidic agents and it works wonders very quickly, takes the bite right out of the burn.

Tay