PDA

View Full Version : will it grow?

McPatch
08-14-02, 07:26 PM
I have been offered a red tailed boa from a guy that i know.It is about 5 years old.It is about 4-5 feet in length and seems underweight(about 6-7 pounds)It is only being fed adult mice (5 a month)It seems to be in good health otherwise.My question is whether it will grow if slowly being fed more and being introduced to bigger animals(rats).Like i said other than being small it seems in great condition

backdraft1320
08-14-02, 08:10 PM
you can deffinitly(spelling I knoe ) fatten her up a bit

Linds
08-14-02, 09:04 PM
The weight doesnt seem that off to me however for the length given, but the feeding regimen it has been on is certainly off. Once being fed properly your snake will probably grow a little bit, but will definitely bulk up. Larger boids tend to grow very slowly their whole life after the first inital length is acheived.

McPatch
08-15-02, 05:24 PM
Well i have decided to take the it.I'm sure with the right care and attention it will turn out to be a wonderful snake.The only thing that i'm worried about is that it is feeding on live so i will have to get it to change over to F/T.Oh well

McPatch
08-23-02, 07:03 PM
Well I just got her
She is alot smaller than i thought or had heard.More like 3-4feet and about2-3 pounds not very big but looks good otherwise i'll post a pic soon.Going to try to give her a F/T feeding tomorrow.I'll just use tongs and pretend its alive.Hope it works.If anyone has any ideas hoe to fatten her up (not to fast)let me know
Thanks

Jeff_Favelle
08-23-02, 07:19 PM
An of course it will grow. Reptiles grow their entire life. If its not growing, its dead.

McPatch
08-23-02, 07:23 PM
Good Point Jeff

I'm sure she will grow she already seems happier in her new tank.The one i have her in is only temp. She'll be moving into a nice 60 gallon soon

Jeff_Favelle
08-23-02, 07:59 PM
Can't wait to see pics