PDA

View Full Version : Searching forCheapest rats, good quality

nolagurl
11-08-03, 02:48 AM
The local pet stores charge an arm and a leg for frozen rats. The availability of rats is sporadic in this area therefore I'm looking into ordering some from the internet. I've checked out RodentPro.com. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

thx,
Christy

p.s. raising my own/killing live rats are out of the question

C.m.pyrrhus
11-08-03, 02:59 AM
Try looking at local herp societies. Usually there are folks that breed rats and sell to the public as well. RodentPro has good prices, but the shipping is killer on the wallet. Some other herptecultural sites have links to rodent breeders/wholesalers that may work for you as well.

nolagurl
11-09-03, 01:29 AM
Yea a friend of mine buys in bulk but he won't be doing so for a while. Our herp club just put an order in a few months ago. I'm not sure if they are still doing it as it was a hassle to get money from members.

mykee
11-10-03, 05:46 PM
It seems like you get one or the other, either high-quality rats, or cheap rats. The old addage is true, not that I want to beat a dead horse, but "you get what you pay for". I have in the past paid $100. for 75 adult frozen rats. Thought that was a good deal, until I defrosted a few of them and they smelled like hell. They had been re-frozen. If you want cheap rats, don't look for high-quality rats. If you want high-quality rats, don't look for cheap rats. My opinion, from experience.

nolagurl
11-10-03, 07:45 PM
Hrm. maybe I should have said *not over priced* instead lol. The local pet store sells them for $3 a pop. Just from scouring the internet I know that is pretty high.

mark129er
11-12-03, 07:43 AM
Only $3!!! I wish I paid that little. The pet stores her charge $4.50-$5 tax in for small/med rats and I have to kill them myself.

Syst3m
11-12-03, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mark129er
Only $3!!! I wish I paid that little. The pet stores her charge $4.50-$5 tax in for small/med rats and I have to kill them myself.

Notice she lives in the US.

depending on the size, yea that is a bit high in the US for rats.

mark129er
11-12-03, 12:28 PM
hadn't noticed, i guess that could explain it.

BoidKeeper
11-12-03, 12:56 PM
Why not order them from a big breeder like Rodent Pro.com?
Cheers,
Trevor

Clay
11-12-03, 09:25 PM
Try Jeff Herman in Evansville In. He sells top quality mice and rats at a really good price. He does ship f/t just about anywhere. Contact me for the details. If you check out Rodent.Pro you will find alot of dissatisfied customers.

The DOC
11-26-03, 07:45 AM
Just a sugestion..
We have tried ALOT of different suppliers, and the BEST by far, has been cajunmice.com. The prices and shipping, is lower than the "other guys", BUT the quality has been first rate!
You can specify size, amount you want to buy of each, and you will get what you ordered!
PLUS Rhonda, (the owner), will help you if your not really sure about what size, or what your snake really needs! Case in point.. we just got a little variable king snake, we mentioned his size, (6 to 8 inches), Rhonda sent us 50 VERY small pinky mice that are PERFECT!
All her feeders are vaccum packed, shipped to your door overnight, and packed in dry ice. Also you will get a return reciept and a price list in the mail.
We have ordered ALL of our feeders from her for the past 1 and 1/2 years, and have always been very happy with RHONDA.
Just our .02 cents :).... The Doc and Jan