PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit racks?

Lisa
11-02-03, 05:23 PM
What kind of dimensions would I need for a rabbit rack? What kind of colonies can they be kept in?

Syco
11-03-03, 10:22 AM
When you say rabbit rack are you talking about keeping rabbits in setups similar to the mouse and rat racks only larger? If so, I wouldn't think it would work to well. Rabbits really need to be kept in wire cages. Rabbits also cannot be kept in colonies. You need to keep the bucks and does seperate and only put them together for breeding.

reptilesalonica
11-04-03, 08:10 PM
Rabbit racks??? lol...i must see your space in a photo! lol...
You must have a huge room...so jealus :)
What do you mean Syco? Father rabbit eat the babies?
~Greg~

Syco
11-04-03, 10:04 PM
I don't know if they would eat the babies... they probably wouldn't get the chance. Pregnant does sometimes tend to be very nervous and don't like to be disturbed, they will abort or stomp the babies to death, and believe me and buck left with a doe will definately disturb her if you know what I mean ;)

LadyHawke
11-04-03, 10:43 PM
they will kill each others babies....i tried a colony of 1.2......no good, you have to have individual cages for everyone, at the moment i have 2.2 rabbits that are breeding (hopefully) i have a 6 ft cage that is divided into 3 cages, it is open on the bottom so that the droppings fall into the hay and is easier for cleanup, and then other rabbit cages at the moment until i build more cages. when i am certain the females are pregnant they go back to their cages with nestboxes....and then at that time i am hoping to have more females to throw back in with the males, only way to keep rabbits and it also helps to be on a farm, which i am.....they are out in the barn, they are quite stinky animals when there is lots of them

reptilesalonica
11-04-03, 11:54 PM
Yeap! Farm is the best solution! You are lucky on that.
What do you mean you keep them in individual cages?
Each animal or each pair?
~Greg~

LadyHawke
11-05-03, 12:02 AM
yeah my barn is HUGE!!
they are kept in individual cages, one rabbit per cage, unless they are being bred, the male can't stay with with the female when she gives birth so they have to be seperated

reptilesalonica
11-05-03, 12:20 AM
Except the dirt, they must eat like pigs! :D
~Greg~

LadyHawke
11-05-03, 12:32 AM
actually yeah they do!! it was getting expensive feeding them, then i discovered that i can get a 20 lb bag of rabbit chow for 12 bucks, way cheaper then pet stores

Lisa
11-08-03, 04:08 PM
Ok, how big do the individual cages have to be? I'm thinking of building a "rack" of cages with drawers underneath to catch the droppings but i need to know the dimensions the rabbits need.

XxRachxX
11-10-03, 06:42 PM
just a thought: but is there some way you could get your paws on a pet shop display? we have one in college for rabbits and its about 4 ft across and 2.5 deep. its only 1 "story" high though, or if pet stores over there use that kind of display you could take a look-see....
would the rabbits not need some sort of outdoors space? or would you just put them outside in a run occasionally?