PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure conception

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:16 PM
OK...so I don't have the time or money or space to build my own snake enclosure right now so I did the next best thing. I made a 3D model of an enclosure. This way I know what to expect when I do build one. It's a pretty simple design but I can alway try different design options on the model before I build it. What do you think? Any suggestions?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAAAADQW4LmPRkmAgyes7axhS*B!*0c!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAD**zcWcLqPRkmAgyes7axhS*B!*0c!gPusWbqKbtxd!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAAAADgWoLqPRkmAgyes7axhS*B!*0c!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAAAADYWQLqPRkmAgyes7axhS*B!*0c!K!

Cornelsworld
08-07-02, 03:19 PM
The pictures don't work

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:20 PM
I know...I'm trying to fix it as we speak....maybe I'll just upload them

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:21 PM
One

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:22 PM
two..have to wait 30 seconds to post again???

arhhh... it reset the image path..

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:23 PM
two...

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:24 PM
three

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:25 PM
four

Tom P
08-07-02, 03:43 PM
What program did you use to create those enclosures?? Oh and by the way , Nice idea!!!!

Tom P

Big Mike
08-07-02, 03:55 PM
Thanks Tom,
I made the model in Autocad. I can change the materials, the lighting the view and anything else and render it to a picture file. Sure, I didn't get too much done at work today but I have snakes to think about...lol

Cornelsworld
08-07-02, 04:05 PM
How do you do that. I have autocadd and I think I know how to do 3D, but I definetely dont know how to do layers like that with textures and patterns. I would love to be able to do that to show people what they would be getting once I am done.

Greg

ps. I have Autocad 2000 and Autocad 2002 if it makes a difference.

Big Mike
08-07-02, 04:28 PM
Well...I don't want to give away my trade secrets...I should start a business and charge people who make cages to make models for them...

Acctually it's not too hard. If you can make 3D solid models in Autocad (version does not matter) then you are most of the way there. Read up on rendering...you can apply materials to objects and adjust the lighting to suit the model. It's hard to explain verbaly (by typing) so just try it out. Good Luck.

Quervo
08-07-02, 07:50 PM
hey Mike .. here's the cage I'm currently modeling. It IS a great way to figure out the bugs before you build.

(I DO have a business modeling .. but mostly architectural and prototype .. haven't convinced anyone to give me money for cage models yet:D )

Cornelsworld
08-07-02, 09:04 PM
Looks a little like J worlds Design. I want to build one like this also. I need to figure out how to do the rendering.

Greg

lance
08-07-02, 09:35 PM
great images and designs guys keep up the good work

Dom
08-07-02, 11:37 PM
I'm very impressed guys .. Really great idea .. any other designs like so?

Tx
Dom

Big Mike
08-08-02, 08:46 AM
Really nice model, Quervo. :thumbsup:

That was the my first attempt to model an enclosure, I will try to make some more with different designs. The hardest part is how much detail to include. You don't need much to make it look good but the more detail, the more realistic. Also, it gives you a better idea of the way it will have to be built when you do it for real.

reverendsterlin
08-08-02, 08:48 AM
just noticing that most of the designs use the wood grain to accent the piece. A way to keep that look on the inside and still keep it moist is to line the inside with clear plexi and seal the seams. Looks like the wood yet allows high humidity species to be kept in wood look enclosures without 5 coats of poly.

Cornelsworld
08-08-02, 09:18 AM
Big Mike are you going to be at the Red Deer show at the end of the month? If you are if I have a 3d model drawn and haven't figured out how to do it by then do you think you could give me some pointers. I am an engineering technologist as well and I have taken Autocad, but we never got into the 3d side of things.

Greg

Cornelsworld
08-08-02, 09:19 AM
I will have my computer there with me.

Greg

Big Mike
08-08-02, 11:39 AM
I really, really, really want to go to the Red Deer show BUT I have to go to a wedding in Boyle for some people I've never met. My girlfriend's cousin or something...

If the wedding was in Edmonton, I would try to do both the wedding and the show but not from boyle.

I might be able to get out of going to the wedding but I'd have to build myself an enclosure to live in after my girlfriend kicked me out...lol

I will be at the Calgary Show later this fall.

SilverTongue
08-08-02, 12:15 PM
Modles are great, but without the plans then they are useless. Wood size and glass size and thickness ect ect.

Big Mike
08-08-02, 12:28 PM
Ahh..that's the beauty of Autocad. I have the model so I all I have to do to make building plans is to create the proper views and add dimentions. I'll try to make up an example for you.

SilverTongue
08-08-02, 12:33 PM
Cool i will be waiting

Big Mike
08-08-02, 02:01 PM
OK...here is a quick detail drawing to go with the enclosure model I made. It's not a complete plan, just an example of what can be done.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/504/295sampleplans-med.jpg

Cornelsworld
08-08-02, 02:37 PM
Now I really have to figure out how to use it. A girl who I work with took the 3 d course and she has the book so I will see if I can borrow it, and figure out how to do it.

Greg