PDA

View Full Version : New Jungle Carpet cages....

Jeff_Favelle
08-05-02, 11:45 PM
About 70% complete. Only 5 more to do after these..... Man, I wish I was a carpenter (NOT!).

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/124cages003small.jpg

SilverTongue
08-06-02, 12:18 AM
Very nice looking!

sSNAKESs.com
08-06-02, 04:16 AM
I like them also! :) great job jeff

Dom
08-06-02, 06:30 AM
Really nice loking Jeff...

One consern though. How are you gonna cover those lights in hte cage? What do u plan on using as front doors>

Again, Those look amazin!

Dom

Grant vg
08-06-02, 09:28 AM
lookin really good my man!:D

Nice atmosphere....good job!:thumbsup:

Jeff_Favelle
08-06-02, 09:31 AM
It is a weird picture, isn't it Grant. Very eerie. Actually, I was freaked out in the basement 'cause I just saw Signs on the weekend and that was one freaky movie!!!

Dom, I'm not going to cover the lights. I had 100W bulbs in just to take the picture, but when the snakes go in, I'm just going to have 25W ers. No probs man. I can grab one without it burning. Used them for years with no probs. Actually, everyone I know uses them without covers.

Jeff_Favelle
08-06-02, 09:34 AM
The front is just going to be sliding glass. Nothing fancy (not that I could build anything fancy, even if I wanted to!! Ha ha!).

I may put some plants in too, but I've always had them simple, so I don't think I'll change now.

Tom P
08-06-02, 01:03 PM
????? So I person could use a 25w house bulb for snakes? Is that enough for the heat? or is there something else for heating the enclosure? Just a couple questions, I hope they are not dumb ones, but I thought using bulbs to heat a snake enclosure, was bad cause they climb on everything, and may possibly get burned on them. Just a rookie though and I have lots to learn!!!!

Tom P

Big Mike
08-06-02, 02:11 PM
Nice enclosures Jeff,
As Tom asked, what are you using for heat? Not just 25w bulbs? Also what do you have for ventilation? Are those little holes in the back?

Jeff_Favelle
08-06-02, 06:40 PM
My fault for not mentioning it. The bulbs are ust for aesthetics and day-time-highs. Nothing more. Jungles are rarely on the ground (except gravid females). They are truely a black and yellow Chondro! Therefore, I want them to get some heat and the 25W ers work perfectly. But every snake I have has bottom heat and Jungles are no exception. There is a 30W heat pad in EACH Jungle cage as well. I rarely see them on it, but the heat radiates up, as its directly under the light bulb. This creates a perfect thermal gradient, in my opinion. I'll post more pics soon, to better explain. Most of the big Jungle guys do it this way, so I just copied them. Ha ha, I hope it works!!

:-)

lance
08-06-02, 08:52 PM
great pics jeff what are the dims and how hard to build?

Jeff_Favelle
08-06-02, 09:13 PM
The dimensions are 36L x 18H x 24W. Just 5/8" plywood painted with acrylic on the outside and marine enamel on the inside. Sliding glass doors on the front and an Arbutus branch for climbing. Total cost per cage (10 Jungle cages) is roughly $27. Took 3 days (2 hours after work) to build 4 of them.

SilverTongue
08-06-02, 10:04 PM
I dont know how much they may like heat or moisture, but if you spray the warm side or put a mister there it will be warm and steamy.

Jeff_Favelle
08-06-02, 11:26 PM
60% max humidity for mine.

As for ventilation, I have holes (4 inch) drilled on the left side (the side you can't see) and covered with screen. Excellent ventilation. I'll try and get some more pics.