PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Keepers Tools: Spare Tanks

Ravi
10-21-03, 11:26 AM
<b><u>Temp Guns & Thermometers</u></b>

Ok, so we've determined that temp guns, thermometers, and probe thermometrs all have applications in husbandry.

Some of the uses that were outlined are:
<ol>
<li>Important for knowing your basking surface temps (temp gun)
<li>Very quick/accurate results (temp gun)
<li>Save time since you can make multiple adjustments and get the results quicker (temp gun)
<li>Learn how different materials react to heat (temp gun)
<li>Reading female monitor condition (temp gun)
<li>Good for reading temps in underground places (probe thermomter)
<li>Good for reading ambient temps and creating a gradient (thermomter)
</ol>

Lets move on to the next topic: <b><u>Spare Tank(s)</u></b>

Lots of monitor people tend to think that an empty tank has no purpose other than housing another monitor :) Not true! Empty tanks are great for:

<ul>
<li>Seperating monitors that are fighting
<li>Seperating monitors that are being dominated and unduly stressed
<li>Removing pesky males if they are disturbing a nesting female
<li>Holding monitors during a cage cleaning (they love to get in the way)
<li>Used for feeding 'slow' eaters
</ul>

What else is there? Lots I bet.

<a href="http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27888">Link to <b><i>Temp Guns</i></b></a>

NiagaraReptiles
10-21-03, 01:08 PM
I don't use spare tanks. I have never had the need. Of course I think a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that I only work with monitors that are captive bred and that have been raised together from an early age.

Just a few examples......

I have a group of Red Ackies that has 2 males in the same cage......the females are laying eggs and I have observed no fighting.

My Storr's ("notorious" for fighting), never fight and have been housed together since they hatched and are now maturing.

Back when I used to keep some w/c species, I was able to house <i>V. doreanus</i> together in the same enclosure for a year before I parted with them - no fighting. Again, another species that is supposed to be very aggressive with cagemates.

Maybe I'm just lucky ;)

skinheaddave
10-21-03, 03:02 PM
I only have the one monitor, so fighting etc. isn't an issue. When I have to do any major work in the enclosure, though, I put Behemoth in a large rubbermaid. I give him some food while I'm at it to keep him occupied and then do what I have to do.

Cheers,
Dave

Ravi
10-22-03, 11:31 AM
Fair enough. Small monitors are easier to house than larger one, thats a given. Also having a single monitor significantly lessens the need for a spare tank.

I don't think being CB or WC or raising them together from an early age has anything to do with the need/usefulness of a spare tank. Although raising them together is a great idea, beneficial, and recommended it does not gaurantee there will not be times they need to be seperated. Like Jon pointed out to us, he hasn't needed one thus far so maybe this is not a <b>must have</b> tool and just one that is nice to have.

Any input from people that house larger species and have more than one?

Thanks
--Ravi--

SHvar
10-22-03, 12:23 PM
Ive had a few pairs of monitors (bosc and albigs) the boscs got along great (very gentle to each other), but he albigs acted a bit different. The female eventually grabbed the male by the back of his head and neck then proceeded to whip him around like a pitbull playing with a rag. I quickly interceeded yelling put him down , she did and backed off then he was removed and wouldnt eat for 2 weeks on his own. A spare cage was invaluable, but I had them in separate cages until the introduction on her territory. Cleaning, if your monitors arent trustable to not wreck your house to bad or hide in inaccessable locations then a spare is needed.

Dragoon
10-22-03, 07:03 PM
Hello.
I have really found I need a spare cage. I have had to rethink the space I have, to include a spare. I keep a pair of rudicollis, not raised together, but compatible. They do get along just fine, but there have been several instances now that I have had to separate them.
She is due to lay her fourth clutch this year, so I have pulled him out. She also went through a sulky period when she would not eat. So out he came, until she got over her PMS. I have no clue why her attitude changes, but it does, towards her male and myself. We just have to deal with it.
Since I do not currently have a spare cage, he is in my bathroom. I put a wood hide box in there for sleeping, and keep the water warm through the day. But trust me, I'm very unhappy, and so is he. It is NOT a satisfactory arrangement. Especially when we both want the tub at the same time. Or I am trying to brush my teeth, and a really pissed off five footer is whipping water at me. Not to mention the amount of bleach and time I must spend to disinfect the room before I'll use it.
Since it is cold in there at night with the door shut, he gets fed rarely, if at all, that he is in there. So he is a hungry, and pissed off monitor.
Soon as the new cage is temped out (I made all the basking spots adjustable), and I get the dirt in, I get my bathroom back. Or hey, the female could lay any time now.
I am only posting, in hopes someone is helped by this.
D.