PDA

View Full Version : Adopting an Iguana

J-Man
10-09-03, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Let me just start off by saying that I'm sure some of you may know that I recently lost a veiled cham. And I just want to let you know that I'm not getting an iguana as a rebound pet. I'm going to wait a matter of months and do tons and TONS of research before I actually get one.... now onto my questions.

Does anybody know of a website that lists reptile adoption centers? I'm looking for one in Western PA (preferably Pittsburgh). Or does anybody have any info at all when it comes to adopting an iguana? Any help/feedback I can get is appreciated.

Big Mike
10-10-03, 10:29 AM
Check with your local SPCA and/or reptile societies.

Around here (Edmonton, Canada), the SPCA is called out to get quite a few iguanas every year. They do not have the facilities to care for them so they end up with calling the local reptile society (ERAS). That means that someone has to take them in. We try to discourage the sale of iguanas for this reason.

Bravo to you for thinking about adopting. Sorry about your chameleon.

J-Man
10-10-03, 10:28 PM
Thanks Mike. Yeah it just seems so stupid to buy an iguana nowadays. For one thing if you buy from a petstore (I don't think I have to name names) chances are it's gonna be sick. Another thing, there are tons in need of homes. Anyway, yeah I've been looking for my local reptile society and humane society and stuff but I'm having some trouble. Well, I called my humane society and they simply said they didn't have any (Not very helpful, I hate bureaucracies). But I'm looking for a more herp intensive humane society around here.

Thanks for the reply.

lilyskip
10-10-03, 11:08 PM
yeah, great call on adoption. SO many iguanas need homes! try: http://www. king snake .com/adoption.html , minus the spaces.

J-Man
10-11-03, 01:02 AM
Yeah I know. There are so many and I know there has to be a few around me in need of a loving home but I just can't seem to find them. Thanks for the link. I just checked it out and it looks like it's gonna turn out to be pretty helpful.