PDA

View Full Version : Hoplosternum rant.

Youkai
07-27-02, 12:31 AM
Has anyone ever kept this cat? I've found them to be one of the most engaging fish I've had the pleasure to interact with.

I don't have the room for another 50+ gallon tank, but I get to play with the ones at work everyday, since no one wants them...

And it's completely beyond me why.
They're like a bigger, neater, more intelligent cory. Bubble nest builders. Tame....make better 'pets' then oscars. Schooling. Interactive...
Seriously, my next large tank will be set up with these fish in mind.
I really, REALLY don't understand why they aren't more popular. Secretly, I'm happy at work because it means I get to see them everyday.

In all seriousness, has anyone ever set up a group of these fish? I can't think of a freshwater fish I want more. Room...I need more room... ;)

SilverTongue
07-27-02, 01:04 AM
can you post a pic please?

Youkai
07-27-02, 01:18 AM
Here ye go!
http://www.planetcatfish.com/ilibrary/callicht/hoploste/394_f.htm

SilverTongue
07-27-02, 01:38 AM
That is a pretty nice looking fish! It is not all scuzzy looking like regular catfish!! Unfortunatly it would eat all my lil fish. Can those live in a pond? I live in Texas it gets 30-50 in the winter and 70-103 in the summer. Would they live in an inground pond??? I think inground ponds are at 65?? but not sure

Youkai
07-27-02, 02:53 AM
My own experience is that they don't tolerate waters too cool, and that the temperature should be stable as well. It would be easier to keep them indoors. They aren't huge, maybe 7-8". They might get bigger, but I haven't found much literature on them.

SilverTongue
07-27-02, 10:48 AM
I will certantly let my husband know thanks :)