PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed the deecline in Hognose?

BIG SCOTT
07-26-02, 07:15 PM
In the last 3 yrs I have seen one Hognose snake that was alive . I know they should be out there because they eat the same kind of food as Garter Snakes and live in the same kind of enviroment . I'm hoping that it's not like this all over the country!

Nicky
07-26-02, 07:29 PM
i've noticed it too ahwile ago they were fairly easy to find now days i havn't seen one for 1 and a half years:( it's sad i bet it's probably due to exporting but there endangered now and I hope something will be done ot restore there numbers i was thinking of writting a letter to the department of fish and game and see if they can shed some light on the problem

crimsonking
07-26-02, 09:22 PM
Try to find a southern hognose!( Heterodon simus) Good luck!Some places where they were 5 yrs. ago are completely gone now. Anyone else notice the abundance of fire ants also in areas where egg laying species would be affected? Mark

SilverTongue
07-26-02, 11:22 PM
that is interesting, i have heard recently that Austraila just recently got fireants. I wonder if that is effecting their herp societys yet?

Nicky
07-27-02, 05:57 AM
weird it seems many herp species are being decresed.:(

crimsonking
07-28-02, 07:41 PM
Overall decline in habitat suitable for them is a big problem. Amphibians are taking a real beating and it shows in others dependant on them for food.Here in FL., there are many introduced species that "take over" native species' niches as well.Some herps do o.k. by adapting, some do not. The southern black racer around here now feeds readily on the non-native brown anole.I wish I could say the same for the southern hgnose.

sophia
07-28-02, 10:29 PM
There seems to be a healthy population of Hognose in and around the Oak Island, Southport area of North Carolina. My daughter's boyfriend is a fan of Hognoses and he's always catching and releasing them down there. So if anyone were interested in a study, I think this area would be a good place to gather some data.

Tay

Nicky
07-29-02, 08:21 AM
thats propbaly because it's an island is it more remote if it is it's bacause not as many people live there so theres not as much introduced species and theres not as much habbitate lose.

i know my spellings horrible lol

sophia
07-29-02, 12:41 PM
LOL I'm not the typo police (grin).

Yeah the island is remote, but the mainland at Southport seems to be crawling with them too. Not to mention someone released Sidewinders in Onslow county and they seem to be doing fine! The DNR listed them as protected there even though they're not native. It's funny to hear all these folks complain about it, all the while I'm thinking, hey folks, they make noise, if you pay attention, you have nothing to worry about from a rattlesnake. Heck, I don't think they want anymore to do with people than the people do with them anyway.

Funny all these hang-ups and misgivings about snakes that people have because of religious beliefs and culture! One fairy tale is no better than another IMHO, but don't dare say that out loud! LOL

Hey Kayla, I have a daughter just a year older than you that is into snakes too. She has a snow corn named Wishbone, he's a little beauty.

Good to talk to you sweetie!

Tay

Nicky
07-29-02, 01:03 PM
oh lol so we have something in commen

backdraft1320
07-29-02, 01:33 PM
If they are complaing about rattlers in NC dont send them to the west end of Interstate 40 near tennesee their crawling with them down there.

sophia
07-29-02, 02:00 PM
ROFL yea Dave, I didn't figure there would be so much noise since we already have indigenous rattlesnakes, but since they're not native, people are ticked because they're protected! You know, you just can please anybody anymore, either you piss of the locals or the activists, either way you go, you're ******!

Tay

beyowulf
07-29-02, 04:41 PM
Has anyone noticed a decline in Eastern Hognoses? I've definitely noticed a decline in frog numbers in my area in the last 5 years, and I imagine this would have an effect on the snake numbers as well....I've definitely noticed fewer garters than before

reverendsterlin
07-29-02, 05:15 PM
western hognose seem to be doing well, along with every rattlesnake but easterns here (New Mexico) kings doing well and am currently over run with 7 line lizards lol

ssssssssss
09-05-02, 10:02 PM
I seldom see a hognose anymore but the ones I have found have been fat and healthy plenty of toads.There are still a lot of people here that think every snake is a cottonmouth and its out to get them personaly so they kill it I have seen a green snake that was beaten to death for being a cottonmouth!same with grey rats and kings

naja
09-11-02, 02:10 PM
unfortunately many species are in decline around the world. its always sad when such a lovable serpent like the hogs are persecuted for the undeserved bad reputation all snakes have... lets just hope that things work out for the fauna and flora of the world......

BIG SCOTT
09-17-02, 02:57 PM
Well after 3 yrs of searching I finally saw another live one from 8/20/02 through 9/14/02 I have seen 2 neonate Heterodon Platirhinos. I'm hoping to see some adults soon I have never handled a wild adult and I am really looking foward to that day.

Christina
09-18-02, 10:11 PM
The population of Eastern Hognoses are finally picking up around our area! The frogs and toads seem to be thriving around here this year and it is definately a treat.
My husband and I work hard around here as well to help the locals understand the importance of snakes and turtles to our enviroment. We are hoping that this is helping our populations as well.
My aunt seen a Garter last week with an orangish fase to its stripe instead of yellow. We will be hunting over there soon (hopefully before it gets to cool!) to get some pics. This would be an exciting find!
Take care all from Christina