PDA

View Full Version : How to get better humidity..

gloss0rz
09-12-03, 01:31 PM
I cannot for the life of me keep the humidity above 45% in my BCI's enclosure, I have even moved the water bowl a bit closer to the light as well as misting the cage once or twice a day. Any helpful suggestions?

ChunkyMunky
09-12-03, 01:45 PM
Moss works really well with holding humidity, it also makes a good hide for the snake. If you dont mind spending money there is a nice misting machine at bigappleherp.com that you can set to spray either every hour, 3 hours, 6 hours or 12 hours and then you can set duration to spray for 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds.

Heres the link: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_Supplies/Product/Habba_Mist_Misting_Machine_296300.html

Zoe
09-12-03, 02:22 PM
What kind of cage are you using?

Live plants, moss help. What substrate od you have? You could also get a humidifier for the room.

Zoe

Infectrix
09-12-03, 05:18 PM
One question, what type of enclosure do you house the BC in?

chuck911jeep
09-12-03, 06:55 PM
What kind of top you have for your enclosure?

Linds
09-12-03, 07:42 PM
Screen lids and lights are not great for most snakes. Aquariums are absolutely impossible to work with in terms of heat and humidity - they hold neither... unless your room is the proper ambient temperature and humidity for that species... best to get rid of it. Custom enclosures and rubbermaids are the way to go. You *can* cover the top of the tank, but this isn't a good idea. It will raise humidity, but it brings on a whole set of new problems. You are blocking off the airflow, and there is virtually no cross-ventilation. The stagnant air creates a wonderful environment for spores to grow.

Jeff_Favelle
09-12-03, 08:19 PM
Ditch the light, ditch the screen and you will ditch your humidity problems.

ChunkyMunky
09-14-03, 12:06 AM
For now, you could put a folded up bath towell over the screen, it will help maintain the humidity longer.