PDA

View Full Version : found on the property today

morph
09-09-03, 06:08 PM
Found this guy today on alittle walk around the property

Scott

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/205melanistic2-thumb.JPG http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/205melanistic1-thumb.JPG

jay76
09-09-03, 07:14 PM
Is that a garter of some kind?

BWSmith
09-09-03, 07:22 PM
Here are the non-thumbnail images.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/205melanistic1.JPG

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/205melanistic2.JPG

Orryll
09-09-03, 07:28 PM
I caught one of those and took it to the local zoo. Guy told me it was just black garter

Bartman
09-09-03, 07:33 PM
cool..i wish i could walk around and find herps but i live in a too rural area..all houses and no places for animals except this place behind my house that has water and high grass but i wouldnt think there would be any snakes..ive seen a baby fox once but thats all :(

Kyle Barker
09-09-03, 07:49 PM
Looks good. are those red specks? or is it completely black?

Jeff_Favelle
09-09-03, 08:29 PM
Melanistic garter snake. All 3 subspecies of garters we have on the Island do it. Its crazy. You should see the ones with the blue bellies and the blue stripe down the dorsal! Its awesome! :D

TheRedDragon
09-09-03, 08:32 PM
Wow that's wicked! I really love those melanistic snakes! :)

morph
09-10-03, 12:14 AM
Of course Favelle just had too find a better one LOL. Jeff everyone knows red looks better with black than blue does. It's quite interesting all over the prperty in different areas I've found these melanistic guys Yesterday it was a full red stripe today just a few speckles I think my best yet though was the full triple red stripe a duncan meadows golf course three years ago eating baby tree frogs she was a beauty

PS
Jeff she did have a blue belly but Iwould assume they all do as the increased melanin would prob. cause the normally white or yellow belly to go more of a blue.

Scott

Jeff_Favelle
09-10-03, 12:34 AM
Ha ha, I wasn't trying to one-up you but.............LOL!!

I wonder if the melanism in simple-recessive? I never did keep one long enough to breed it and then breed its offspring. But I do know where several populations of them are! Crazy stuff eh? Maybe we should give up Ball Python morphs and breed garters??

morph
09-10-03, 12:10 PM
Hey now you're talkin no more stinky rodent barn. And I believe they are very fond of little butterfly koi and the likes, where do you think we could find some of those? LOL!! How many years till we start selling them for $10,000.00 count me in.

Scott

burmer
09-10-03, 04:00 PM
Very cool!!! Nice find.

SerpentLust
09-10-03, 04:04 PM
That is an AWESOME garter :D

Jenn

Tim and Julie B
09-10-03, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
Melanistic garter snake. All 3 subspecies of garters we have on the Island do it. Its crazy. You should see the ones with the blue bellies and the blue stripe down the dorsal! Its awesome! :D
I caught one of those on a trip to the island as a teen ager. Your right they are an impressive blue. I have never heard of a melinistic garter. Wow learn something new even about things in your own backyard. TB

RepTylE
09-10-03, 04:13 PM
There is a melanistic garter that occurs in my area in the Lake Erie region. I saw one once and they are really nice. The pics posted are just awesome :D

Orryll
09-10-03, 07:07 PM
I go for walks up in a conservation area near my city, and catch normal garters and quiet a few pure black ones. I have even caught a few Black Rat Snakes, the Black Rats are my favorite to catch cause they are a lot more aggressive. I have caught a few Red bellies in the local park near my house. Seen a few Water snakes in Emily Provincal Park.

emroul
09-12-03, 11:59 AM
So...when's the melanistic Ball python comin' out? :D

morph
09-12-03, 05:04 PM
well Ive had that little guy in with my female ball pythons for a few days now and nothin so we'll just have too wait and see.

Scott

Classic
09-12-03, 05:06 PM
What.lol!