PDA

View Full Version : First Northern Ring neck find than ..

Christina
09-07-03, 07:43 PM
I am pleased to say that my husband and son outdid themselves this time when they found not one but two ringnecks two herp hunts in a row.
They found a beautiful hatchling its coloration distinctly displayed.
There is one pic put in my gallery of the first one on here and soon will have time to put the pic of the hatchling in.
This year has also been phenominal for Five lined skinks right from hatchlings to adults! (be carefule with those adults though they have no issues with releasing their feces ask me yuck!)
I will also be posting one of the hatchling pictures soon. There is only one of a sub-adult.
It has been a wonderfull year !

Christina

BWSmith
09-08-03, 10:54 PM
Wow, it makes me appreciate living inthe South. Int he summer I can flip rocks in my yard and find 5 ringnecks and a couple Dekayi. That is about it for the yard aside from a Rough Green that shows up once a year.

Jeff Hathaway
09-09-03, 11:03 AM
Hey BW,

You guys are lucky down there! No shortage of dekayi in most areas around here, but I've only ever seen two wild ringnecks in the field in quite a bit of time out there! We only have ~15 snake species in the whole province, most of which are not very common or widespread.

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

Removed_2815
09-09-03, 09:26 PM
When I was in Ozark, Missouri over the summer we did a site where there was a lot of trash on the ground. We pulled up a piece of carpet that was laying in some dirt and found at least two dozen ringneck snakes. In another site in Virginia, I found a rock pile (piled vertically, like a section from a rock wall) that had two or three ringnecks under every single rock! I have only ever found two in Ontario. Some places are just very dense with Diadophis.
Cheers.
Ryan

LadyHawke
09-09-03, 09:36 PM
Christina
where did you find the ringnecks and the five lined skinks....i am hoping to go out soon with my son and find some as well.

Jayson
09-11-03, 08:34 PM
Lady
There is Ring necks in your area!
My husbands co-worker caught one up there awhile back and brought it back here because he thought he found something rare. Some people don't get it.
We are quite a distance from you aprox a 3 hour drive.
Christina

LadyHawke
09-11-03, 09:00 PM
oh yeah?? that brightened my day!!
i am hoping to go out this weekend with my son, now that i have a digital camera it should be great. i haven't done this before but whats the best type of area to look??

Jayson
09-13-03, 07:59 AM
Sandy,rocky areas near water. these are the areas where i found mine. Unfortunatly Iv only found two in my life so i can not give a more educated answer, but both were found in the last 5 weeks.
One was found on an over casted day started to rain. We found it in a rock creves that we flipped. second one found in the late afternoon early evening of a fairly hot day under a rock.

Good Luck Jason

chas*e
09-13-03, 03:40 PM
I found literally dozens of 5-lined Skinks and Ringnecks in Port Severn in July on a herp hunt with the Durham Snake Group.

Sean_.E.
09-15-03, 06:42 PM
I found two ringnecks this August. I found them while at the beggining of a trail in the North Bay area while I was on holiday. There was a remote control air craft club right before the trail and they had thrown all kinds of garbage (mainly wooden boards) all over the place. I flipped some and found around 20 garters (from neonate to adult and two ringnecks.

When I proceeded down the trail, which was very damp and boggy, I found tons of frogs. Every step you took several would jump out of your way. There were leopard frogs (most common - too many to count), bull frogs (only one) and wood frogs (too many to count - lots of younger specimens). This was only on ONE of the many trails I explored.

The species that I found this summer (while I was on holiday) are as follows:

Amphibians
- red backed salamanders
- bull frogs
- green frogs
- leopard frogs
- wood frogs
- american toads
- POSSIBLY fowlers toad

Reptiles
- common garter snakes
- brown snakes (DeKays)