PDA

View Full Version : my first field herping trip

Neo
09-06-03, 03:56 PM
ok today i packed some stuff, got some steel toed boots and set out into our neighborhood forest... 4 hours later of scanning through high grass, lifting dozens of logs and rocks i have successfully found a 1/4 inch toad and a bees nest...tough luck

Bartman
09-06-03, 04:01 PM
that sucks..better luck next time. Where i live its way to unsutable for any animals to live so ive never gone feild herping except for at my cottage and i managed to find a garter snake that almost bit me :)

reverendsterlin
09-06-03, 04:13 PM
a google search using reptiles north carolina may locate you some distribution maps along with other information that could improve your chances

RevMojo
09-07-03, 08:45 PM
The worst day herpin' is still better than the best day workin

Neo
09-07-03, 09:18 PM
well agreed. i can safely say i know a whole section of the woods very well and really connected w/ my inner self :P. i would've stayed longer if my mom wasnt so worried bout me lol

Jeff Hathaway
09-08-03, 09:55 PM
Bartman,

In Thornhill, if you look hard enough, you should be able to find garters, browns, milks, maybe red-bellies, painteds, snappers, green frogs, leopard frogs, toads, red-backed salamanders, and maybe blue-spotted salamanders. Give it a try!

Jeff Hathaway
Sciensational Sssnakes!!

icex19
09-10-03, 04:15 PM
Isn't it a little late in the season for herping? I've noticed it to be harder and harder to herp later in the summer.

shaggybill
09-12-03, 05:53 PM
Neo, you are in snake heaven there in North Carolina. I used to live in Salisbury. Its about 35 minutes north of Charlotte. There are plenty of snakes to be found in NC.

What you oughta do, if its ok, is take something big, like a piece of plywood, (make sure its bio-degradable) into the woods and set it down. Check it every few days, in the hottest parts of the day, and it should turn up something.

Rat snakes should be everwhere down there. So you should be able to at least find them. Watch out for copperheads too. THey seem to be pretty common all over the state.

Icex19, I dont know about up there in Canada, but down south Spring and Fall are the best times for herping. They move alot more when its not as hot out.

MAN OF STEEL
09-29-03, 04:07 PM
i know exactly how you feel. give it time dude.