PDA

View Full Version : Rat Handling Questions???

Batdad
09-06-03, 02:36 AM
OK two questions:

1) First one is more of a clarification, is it Ok to handle rats by tailing them as you do with mice? I ask because it appears that my allergies to fur bearing animals might extend to rats. If that is the case then the options are wearing a glove or tailing. Tailing would just be more convenient at times.

2) Secondly one of my new rats had a small litter of 4 pups so far, noticed them as I was shutting things down for the night. Does it hurt to take some or all the pups away or is it better to leave some? If I go to take them should I give mom a couple of days or is right away better?

I am new to the breeding thing and am just getting the rodents set up in their new home, hope to have the auto watering system set up tomorrow.

Thanks
Bruce

Jayson
09-06-03, 07:53 AM
First off yes it is ok to handle rats by the tail as long as you are sure to handle at the base of the tail and not the tip, this is more a rule for the heavier rats.
Second yes you can remove the babies immediatly after birth, and yes you can rebreed her right away again.
I would be more concerned about why she only had a litter of 4. as my first litters are never less then 10 with the average first litter being 12.
One thought is that the female my have been bred at to early an age. I wait untill she is approx 12-15 weeks.
Also could have been a resault of to much heat, I find that the warmer the rat house the smaller the litters August is always my lowest producing month.
Diet can also effect the litter size. Just read some of the other post different people feed different foods, but all clam to have positive resaults, Its just a matter of whats available to you and what you can afford.
Hope I Helped Jason

Linds
09-06-03, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Jayson
First off yes it is ok to handle rats by the tail as long as you are sure to handle at the base of the tail and not the tip, this is more a rule for the heavier rats.

Agreed. But I wouldn't recommend tailing them for an extended period of time, only moving from say tub to tub and so forth. After all it is an extension of the spine, can't feel great.

Originally posted by Jayson

I would be more concerned about why she only had a litter of 4. as my first litters are never less then 10 with the average first litter being 12.

My females tend to throw litter sizes similar to yours, even really young females that had been accidentally bred, however I have heard time and time again that females will have smallish first litters, so I wouldn't think its a cause for concern, I would be concerned if it happened again though.