PDA

View Full Version : Easy Vertical Multi-Enclosures

little one
07-24-02, 02:37 PM
Don't spend a fortune on vertical enclosures that look good. Build them yourself and keep the money. :) This is so simple!! :) Get a bookshelf that has the dimensions that you like and the right number of shelves. Measure the back and get a piece of peg board cut to fit it (or fine wire mesh). Add a 3-4 inch piece of wood on the bottom of each shelf for a lip at the front of the enclosure if you wish. Get some of the plastic sliding door track (home depot or revy...1/8th inch size) and glue that in. Go to a plastic shop and get some plexiglass or poly carbonate cut to the size of the opening...add about an inch to the length for the overlap and take about 1/4 inch off the height for the track allowance. Get some ceramic light fixtures (don't use the cheaper plastic ones...they are useless) and hook them all up with the bases (don't skip this or the wires will be pinched under the fixture and will eventually wear away) and attach them to the side of the enclosure close to the front (less access for the reptile and the heat from the wires doesn't affect the upper enclosures) and then feed the wire through the backing. Hard wire in a dimmer (you don't want any more than 2 enclosures per dimmer) and you are done! :) Easy, cheap, and if you put them together with some attention to the details they can look totally professional.

Big Mike
07-24-02, 03:19 PM
I like that idea but what would I do if I wanted more than just a light for heat? I would like to have an under tank heater that could be on 24/7 and have a light on durring the day.

I have asked the same question in a new thread so answers/ideas on either thread would be welcome.

Dom
07-24-02, 04:55 PM
For under tank heaters in wooden enclosures.. What i have doen to resolve this problem is stick the heat pad to a sheet of plexiglass and slide it under the substrate ..

As for extra lighting .. well simply put an other light fixture in the top and run it to the back. make sure to cover it if this is to be housing a snake...

Hope it helps..

Btw - i like your idea little one although for larger cages shelving units are too expensive or simply too small so I have to build them from scratch.

Dom

little one
07-24-02, 05:04 PM
That's true...the larger ones are more difficult. These would be perfect for leos and the like...well, they are. :) And the other idea is to put in a false floor made out of plexiglass...a little more difficult, but not impossible. I'll post pics of the one I'm working on now when I'm done...that's a better idea for the UTH. :)

DragnDrop
07-24-02, 05:07 PM
I took a few pictures of the UTH contraption I use inside the wooden cages
(melamine to be picky :)
Some day when I have more time, I'll get them set up on a webpage,
but for now this will work.
Just remember, I'm not a carpenter by any means. This model isn't pretty
by any means, but it sure works and the geckos are happy with it. Anyone
with more ambition can make a snazzier looking model.

General overview of contraption (http://pages.sprint.ca/geckosndartfrogs/files/heat/wholecontraption.jpg) Underside view (http://pages.sprint.ca/geckosndartfrogs/files/heat/underside.jpg) Sideview (http://pages.sprint.ca/geckosndartfrogs/files/heat/sideview.jpg) Top view (http://pages.sprint.ca/geckosndartfrogs/files/heat/topsurface.jpg)
Cord exit /back side (http://pages.sprint.ca/geckosndartfrogs/files/heat/cordgroove.jpg)

Big Mike
07-25-02, 08:49 AM
I was thinking that I could make a false floor out of plexiglass. Maybe make a tray out of it so that it can also act as a substrat dam. I would put spacers or little legs under the false floor to give the uth a little ventilation and keep it off the melamine surface. Also with a tray I could take it out for easy cleaning but I'd have to find a way to deal with the uth.

I'm still thinking about it...it will be a long time before I get around to making my bookshelf miltiple enclosure.

candyf
07-25-02, 11:08 AM
Little One and I have been discussing this. What I plan to do is to make a groove on both side boards about 1/4 inch above the floor and slide a piece of glass or plexiglass in for the "false" floor, attach the UTH to the underside of the glass, and feed the cord out through a whole in the side or back (in the 1/4 inch space between the floor and the glass. I'll let everyone know how it works once I get it finished.

lance
07-25-02, 11:24 AM
they both sound like great ideas let everyone know how they turned out

Big Mike
07-25-02, 12:03 PM
That's a good Idea, definatly let us know how it turns out.

Also, how easy is it to put in sliding glass doors on a bookshelf? I know you could make a groove and have the glass sit in there but if you buy a solid bookshelf then it would have to be dismantled. How easy is it to buy and install tracking for sliding doors? Any pics?

candyf
07-25-02, 12:17 PM
I haven't gotten as far as the sliding doors yet. Initially I was going to use hinged doors but LO suggested the sliding doors so I'm going to give that a try. She probably could answer this question better than I can.

By the way, she told me that you can buy pre-formed (don't know if that is the correct terminology) tracks that you then install right in your opening and then add the glass onto the tracks.

Big Mike
07-25-02, 01:23 PM
I was at Revy during my lunch hour and I found plastic track that could be used for sliding glass doors. It could be glued, nailed or stapled on. The glass size would have to be small enough to get into a set of tracks unless you put the glass in before you tacked down the track.

I really want to start making one but I have no money ::(:

little one
07-25-02, 01:35 PM
the glass and the track is actually the easiest part. :) Just glue it down and then nail it in after. You put the glass in after it's all glued in and set...that's why you cut the measurement for the width of the glass down 1/4 inch (so you can lift the glass up and out). You put the shallower track on the bottom so that the glass sits in there nicely. :)
You're just getting it all planned out for when you do have the money. :)

gunnerslakeshor
07-26-02, 10:24 PM
Hey all
I have slideing glass doors on most of my cages, I find it easyer when it comes to cleaning the glass just lifts out and opens the whole front up and you can get at everything. Once i get my camera going ill post a pic .
Phil