PDA

View Full Version : Arowanna

sophia
07-24-02, 10:25 AM
Just thought we'd share a pic of our South American Black Arowanna - Hannibal. He's a baby still... he'll be around 3 foot when he reaches adulthood...

Lizzy
07-24-02, 12:14 PM
If only they stayed that small...I'de have tones of them. My silver Arowana (Stan) is now 18 or so inches long...still small. He is being fish sat until I finnish school and can afford a place to live that can house his 130 gallon tank. K-Dog gave him to me as a hatchling with a yolksack despite my warnings about space requirements. What are you feeding your Arowana? Stan eats trout food, crickets, and any other bugs that happen to get into the tank. Good luck with yours!

Lizzy

:w

sophia
07-24-02, 12:23 PM
Hey Lizzy,

Right now we have him on shrimp... though he seems to have developed a taste for cory cats... he ate one of the two in the tank with him... he's about the same with the bugs... <G> If he's in the mood he actually likes a pet now and then... though he can be a bit nippy.

Jon

Shane Tesser
07-24-02, 02:21 PM
Very nice, wonderful fish that i have never tried to keep but always wanted. I love the fact that the tank has his name on it too, lol. Nice sword plant as well. s.t.

CMR
07-24-02, 04:01 PM
Next to baby piranhas I love Arowanas…

Geck-co
07-24-02, 10:33 PM
baby piranhas?

man get some spilos :) i assume your talking about baby red bellies.... they are not os skittish when they are young... well spilos dont get to skitths as the age :) and are great to keep (harder then red bellies you can get into soem more canabilsim problems with them fi not in a large enough tank or fed ALOT they always need some feeders in there to nip on otherwise they will nip each others fins.)

I should get outa the game i have beeen playing and do my write up on piranha care for the board hehe

hostile
07-24-02, 11:02 PM
Ireally like the Arrowanas; I like the piranhas too.However, I would opt for the former based on ease of care.

sophia
07-25-02, 12:24 AM
Yep, piranhas are illegal here in NC... we'd love to have them but hey... we'd rather say on the good side of the fish and game folks :D

We love our boy... but instead of eating the cricket tonight he gave him a pony ride on his back around the tank...

Geez...

Our Arowanna has a pet cricket....

Thanks for the compliments and for the one on the sword plant as well... Tay's baby...

Cya

Jon & Tay

CMR
07-25-02, 05:26 PM
I believe piranhas are illegal in most places today. It seem like everything was legal when I was a kid 20-years ago…

And Yes! They were baby red bellies... As a kid I also keep baby black piranhas as well. I would raise them and the strongest ones that serviced I would take them back to the pet shop and switch them for some more babies.

Those where the good old days… :)

sophia
07-27-02, 01:09 PM
Piranhas are legal in Michigan... where we used to live - I had two red bellies there... their reasoning in North Carolina is that due to the climate being conducive to their survival if released... not sure what kind of sense that makes - if anyone saw the sheer size of our catfish {G}

Jon