PDA

View Full Version : tips?

Neo
08-31-03, 10:10 PM
i'm a complete newb to field herping.. can u guys give me ne tips to finding cool herps? i live in nc.. the southeast side of america.. not a great herp area but there's a fair amt of high grass and woods.

my neighbor found a copperhead in his garage so i'll also need tips on places to stay away from lol

snakehunter
09-01-03, 06:26 AM
just look in/around what ever looks good, rock walls, logs, any place a herp cold hide check, tall grass around ponds is great for northern water snakes.
-Jacob

burmer
09-01-03, 12:10 PM
I don't know about where you live not being a great herp area. There should be all kinds of herps there. All the places snakehunter listed are great places to look. You'd be suprised how many you'll find. Under logs have always been my favorite to look. The last time I was out in the yard I picked up a log and found a pygmy rattler.

Bartman
09-01-03, 12:19 PM
you think there are any herps in toronto :) seriously though...you think there are anything?

icex19
09-01-03, 05:12 PM
Bartman- Sure there are! I live in the Toronto area myself, and there are plenty of places to go herping. I've seen TONS of painteds and snappers around. Go to your local marshland, creek, or any body of water or forest. I stick to turtles myself, but have found snakes too :)

Good luck man, herping is a bit weak at this time of year. I'd suggest going in may all the way through august. Good luck, Bartman. We can talk about herping around here if you want. Just pm me or add me to your msn (icex19@hotmail.com) or aim (vwres)

Happy Herping! ;)

Neo
09-01-03, 08:45 PM
ok so locations are basically nething classified as the wilderness? but what do i bring w/ me and stuff.. is there a way to tell if a snake is poisonous by looking at it? specifics plz

thx

RevMojo
09-01-03, 09:07 PM
Learn what venoumous species are in your aread, and learn to be able to id them quickly. If you don't know whether or not a snake is dangerous, leave it alone. Be safe and good luck!

Neo
09-03-03, 10:53 PM
ppl say copperheads are the only venomous snakes in nc.. neone know stuff bout them? appearance? places to watch out for? what to do if bitten? etc.. also, non venomous snake bites can be ignored right? wrong?

enso
09-03-03, 11:15 PM
Well, depending where in NC you live. You have Copperheads, Cottonmouths, Timber Rattlers, Eastern Diamondbacks, and Pygmy Rattlers. Those are just the venomous! Do a search on NC snakes. The DNR should have some info/pics. Find a good field guide if you plan on field herping, esp down there. Here we only have the Timber and the Massasuga for venomous. Sucks bad. NC has plenty of snakes, vens and non-vens!

enso
09-04-03, 02:21 AM
Forgot the Eastern Coral Snake. =P

Neo
09-04-03, 06:58 PM
im in chapel hill. it's like 30 min from raleigh.. there's a forest right next to my neighborhood.. it just poured real heavily today and i plan to field herp on saturday. will rain make it easier or harder to find herps?

OhioHerper
09-28-03, 06:57 PM
Hi
I come from ohio and have been haveing a hard time find any herps. iwas wondering if any one had any ideas. Also if there is any equipment/techniques that anyone can suggest. Thanks
ohioherper

LISA127
09-28-03, 07:00 PM
OhioHerper-
lol....that's because we don't have many herps here! garter snakes, frogs, and painted turtles. that's about it. i know, it's boring.
lisa

enso
09-28-03, 07:26 PM
LOL!!! You have many more snakes in Ohio than just Garters. Here's a list (just the serpents).

Non Venomous: Brown Snake, Butler's Garter Snake, Plains Garter Snake, Common Garter Snake, Eastern Ribbon Snake, Western Ribbon Snake, Rat Snake, Eastern Fox Snake, Common King, Eastern Milk Snake, Queen Snake, Eastern Hognose, Northern Water Snake, Rough Green Snake, Smooth Green Snake, Ringneck Snake, Worm Snake, Red-bellied, Smooth Earth Snake, Racer, and Kirtland's Snake.

Venomous: Copperhead, Timber Rattler, Eastern Massauga.

Get a feild guide, find their habitats, and get out there. Look, listen, find.

Neo
09-28-03, 08:46 PM
i found this AWESOME website http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Biology/herpcons/Herps_of_NC/herps_of_NC.html

it has just bout every herp in nc and a description and pic. frogs, snakes, lizards, turtles, salamanders. i think i'm gonna hold back on herping till the spring seeing as the fall isnt too great of a season to herp

OhioHerper
09-29-03, 09:11 PM
thnaks for the lsit. Any one have any techniques or equpipment they can suggest

Brodie
09-29-03, 09:29 PM
Snake Hook and Snake handling tongs are good...................... and also a first aid kit with a snake bite kit in it :)......never know what could happen. Also maybe take along an experienced field herper to show the best techniques to use...and also to increase your chances of finding them :)