PDA

View Full Version : shedding question!!

amanda_5777
08-30-03, 02:08 AM
my bci is 20 months now he is eating fine etc but he shed on the 11/8/2003 and hes back in blue again now it looks like hes going to shed again in the next few days!! He seems to be growing at a very fast rate. hes 2.1 metres now i measured him 3 days ago!! I'm feeding to large f/t rats every 7-10 days and he would take more if I let him I think, but wary of overfeeding him!

Am I overfeeding or is he just going to be larger than average do you think!! As far as I'm aware hes still got a couple more years of growing to do but shouldnt it be slowing down a little now?? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

hip
09-01-03, 06:55 AM
Well it seems like you have a future Giant on you hands. Bc.i can get very large from time to time.Two point one meters makes him/her an exceptional boa (in size) for 20 months old. Your feeding schedule looks about right for that age of boa.I would ask if you use a vitamin supplement? It has been shown that too much vitamin A will cause power shedding in boas (up to 15 sheds a year in some cases). This vitamin being fat soluble is very hard for boa's to burn off due to slow metabolic acitivity.If such is the case switch to a vitamin supplement that uses beta carotene,this will be converted to vitamin A as needed with the rest being expelled in normal defecation.

You are not over feeding (depending on the girdth of the boa) I have had many talks with my vet in the past and he has stated numerous times he sees more underfed boids than boids that are properly fed he also sees many lacking in water based vitamins (C.and the B complex Bioflavnoids) also vitamin D due to lack of uvb exposure/ supplementation. Good luck to you and your monster post some pic's I would love to see this boa

Hip

Invictus
09-01-03, 11:02 AM
2.1 meters at 20 months???? WOW. My BCI male is a little over 1.1 meters and he's 12 months old. I don't anticipate he'll get to 2 meters in the next 8 months, but you never know. I'd love to see pics of this big boy of yours!

amanda_5777
09-01-03, 04:57 PM
well he has just come out of blue and will shed in the next couple of days i should think. And I double checked his age and he definitely is 20 months now. I'm not using any vitamin supplement at all, as I kill and freeze my own rats and even when he takes two at a time there isnt that much of a noticeable lump. I will try and get some nicer pics of him posted after he has gone through a shed. Just didnt want to think I was power feeding him, dont want to do that!! I also am beginning to think he is just going to be one those one offs that grow larger than the average boa LOL !! Do you think it might be better to feed him one larger prey item like a rabbit or a guinea pig rather than two large rats maybe ?? and thanks for the imput

amanda_5777
09-01-03, 05:46 PM
He's not through his shed yet but these are a couple that I took 2 weeks back just after his last shed. Might give you an idea of the size of him. http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/27420815_0010.jpg http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/2742kerry_alfie4.jpg http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/27420812_0004.jpg

I really do think he is going to be a big lad!!!

But will post a couple more once he is finished with this shed