PDA

View Full Version : herping in florda

Nicky
07-21-02, 07:17 PM
hey i was thinking of going to the florda keys in acouple of years wut kind of herps can i excpect and were should i look?

SilverTongue
07-21-02, 07:23 PM
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/Flaherps.htm

Check this out :)

crimsonking
07-21-02, 08:19 PM
Don't get to the keys much myself.There's a lot of places to look that are quite near buildings and structures. Under plywood scraps etc. Remember that the FL.keys are home to many ssp. that are found nowhere else and are protected! To be safe- take pics only. Have fun when you're down here in sunny FL!, Mark

stewart
07-21-02, 10:48 PM
I haven't had a chance to go herping in the keys, but a few years ago I was in Florida working on a nature documentary. I spent a few days in Lake Placid at a biological station, and a few days in Gainsville. While there I saw tons of anoles & scrub lizards, a five lined skink, tree frog, black racer and gopher tortoises. I also had the opportunity to handle an alligator at a Fish and Game center for the shoot. I also saw tonnes of turtles while canoeing in Gainesville. On the non-herp side of things I saw armadillos, Bard Owls, a bobcat, and wolf spiders. I'm sure I've forgotten to mention some stuff, but I can't wait to go down there again with a little more time to concentrate on herps.

Pythonian
07-25-02, 03:50 PM
i live in florida... all i see are ringnecks and racers.. LOL (and a few corns in the cow pastures)

Nicky
07-26-02, 04:43 PM
stewart does that make you a herptrologist? wow thats what i wanna be is it fun?

stewart
07-26-02, 10:00 PM
Hi Nicky
I'm not a herpetologist, I'm a proffesional videographer, amatuer photographer, a herp enthusiast, and a bad speller. And occasionally I get to combine these things.

After 5yrs of looking, I finally found two E. milksnakes. This has been at the top of my list since I started herping. I think they are Ontarios prettiest snake. The Fox snake might be tied for first or a close second, and I've seen several of those too. You can see the full report of my find at www.herpjournal.blogspot.com

I like your choice of avatar, its a photograph that I took of the only herp that I own.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICKY

Nicky
07-27-02, 05:59 AM
thanks yeah my cornsnake looks just like my own corn so i figured i'd use it.

yup it's my b-day thanks:)

Dom
07-27-02, 06:53 AM
Happy b-day Nicky