PDA

View Full Version : eek

Nicky
07-21-02, 06:04 PM
today i just noticed that my corns tail hadn't prperly shed from last month and at the tip about 1 cm of it is covered in old skin that is grey i tried peeling it gentelly and used humidy and so on but it won't come off whats going to happen to the tail? it seems to be making a dent it's not going to fall off is it?

SilverTongue
07-21-02, 07:35 PM
Yes the tip will fall off. Keep trying to get it off the old skin is cutting the circulation to the tail. Soak her in a bath for a while

This is pulled from another message board I am on hope it helps

Shed Retention
I have a yearling Blizzard corn that keeps retaining shed skin around the very tip of his tail. All three of my corns are kept on the same substrate(repti-bark) with humid hides and the other two corns have never had any problems they always have perfect sheds. I've tried give the Blizzard a bath before sheds, misting his cage more often, and just recently mineral oil. If the mineral oil doesn't work, what should I do? What is the reason that he is having so much trouble? Thanks for the help.
Rhoman

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-07-2002 02:43 PM

Gregg

Location: East Bay area of Northern California, near San Francisco.
You'll get a lot of answers...
mine is but one.

I don't know.

I have an average humidity of around 69% to 70%. I mist frequently and use large water dishes. Still, I have had one corn to shed all but a ring around his body, just above its tail. The first time--two sheds ago--I didn't worry, figuring that he would shed this ring at the next shed. As time went on, however, it became apparent that this ring was causing a serious problem--the rest of his body was increasing in size, but the area where the ring of skin was left wasn't increasing in size.

...So, I took him to the vet. The vet gave me some DSS Solution, which smells like soap, and probably is, which I mixed 1 oz to 16 oz's of water. The snake with the problem is soaked in this solution for 30 minutes (yeah, I know, but if you give them a book and some tea, light some candles and incense, and put friends on the TV, they'll stay. I tried putting Mark O'Shea on the TV, but it scared my poor snake to death.). It really works wonders for bringing about a good shed. Ask your vet about it. If he is unfamiliar with the product, he can contact my vet at harkherp@aol.com.

Pythonian
07-21-02, 07:42 PM
This is what i do with my ball python:
put him in a wet t shirt or pillow case tie up all the ends, put it outside in the day.. and leave him in there fore about 20 minutes? (keep an eye on him of course) .. and it should be easier to come off just like that.

Nicky
07-22-02, 03:07 PM
ok I'm starting humtidy theropy for her I put her in a small plastic container with warm wet towles and mist it i also mist her 6 times a day with medium misting that last two minuites then i cover most of the ventilation and boost the temp then I put her in the bath which she hates I hope it comes off will it grow back if it falls off?

SilverTongue
07-22-02, 03:21 PM
no :(

Nicky
07-23-02, 05:35 PM
will it hurt her if it falls off is she like in pain rite now?

SilverTongue
07-23-02, 11:51 PM
well she does have compleate control of her tail so I am sure it will hur a lil, but not too much because it is not being cut of it is just lost the circulation like you wrap a rubberpand around your finger after a while it will fall off also...do your best to get the shed off. I dont think it will hurt once it has fallen off though.

reverendsterlin
07-26-02, 12:24 PM
my Blizzard lost the tip no other problems, I triple check her tail every time now though
Sterling